Thread: Hello from the Denver Museum!

Hello from the Denver Museum!

Hello everyone! I'm Chris Grinter, the curatorial assistant and photographer here in entomology and arachnology at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. I've been at the museum since November 2012, surprised it took me this long to stumble across your group. I did find you guys on the National Moth week page, I've been a supporter of the events and will be planning talks/lighting nights for next year. I'm mostly a lepidopterist and work on tiny moths, but I also have 6 T's at home. I've had a long and busy summer collecting all over Colorado, and a lot to look forward to next year. My colleague David Bettman and I have started the Colorado Microlepidoptera Survey and have been attempting to gain a better understanding of the small species of moths we have here in the state. It involves lots of camping and that's always something we're glad to have extra people on. I can keep the group posted on where and when we're headed out.

David and I would also be glad to host a meeting here at the museum in the spring and give everyone a tour of our collections. We are opening our new wing in February and haven't even started the move yet, so a April/May meeting might be reasonable. Stay tuned!

I'll encourage everyone to like the DMNS Zoology Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/DMNSZoology

And here are my flickr pages:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmnszoology/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisgrinter/

Re: Hello from the Denver Museum!

Hey Chris! Sorry the board didn't post your thread automatically. We get a lot of spammers, and the software I have installed is supposed to weed out "spammy" posts. I don't know what its rules are for what constitutes spam, but it's been weeding out non-spam posts a lot lately. :( I don't get notifications when it happens, either.

Anyway, welcome to the forums! We would LOVE to have a meeting at the DMNS and/or provide some extra people for when you have collecting trips. Definitely keep us apprised.

Have you been in contact with Sam Johnson, by chance? He's a lepidopterist down in Colorado Springs. He lead us on our NMW events this year. In previous conversations he definitely seemed interested in the micros.

Re: Hello from the Denver Museum!

No problem! I figured all of the links screwed things up.

I don't know Sam Johnson personally, but I know my colleague David has met him. Hopefully we can all coordinate this coming summer.

I guess I ended up posting my original message twice, so the first one I edited and can be deleted (I didn't see how I could do that?).