Thread: DIY Tarantula Enclosures

DIY Tarantula Enclosures

For the most part we improvise tarantula enclosures sometimes with different tupperwares, kritterkeepers, etc....

But I've been wanting to make some plexiglass enclosures. I know they sell them, but I have too many critters to buy these for everyone.

Has anyone made, and had success, with building their own plexiglass containers? Have any tutorials or anything?

Thanks ^_^
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Re: DIY Tarantula Enclosures

Oh, I found a fabulous tutorial ^_^

http://youtu.be/9bcWPHnxjRk
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Wow, that seems like *a lot* of work, but the end product is outstanding.

It does seem kind of like a pita, but I like the end product, and I might save a little doing it ourselves instead of buying the enclosures like that. I want to set up an armoire in the living room so we can get them out of our closet, but I want nice enclosures. I'm going to make Typhon the gigas one first since she's outgrown her enclosure.

Think the hard part might be finding a place that will cut the plexiglass for us, otherwise we're going to have to cut it ourselves.
    *Fear is ignorance*

Quote Originally Posted by Erwynn View Post
    It does seem kind of like a pita, but I like the end product, and I might save a little doing it ourselves instead of buying the enclosures like that. I want to set up an armoire in the living room so we can get them out of our closet, but I want nice enclosures. I'm going to make Typhon the gigas one first since she's outgrown her enclosure.

Think the hard part might be finding a place that will cut the plexiglass for us, otherwise we're going to have to cut it ourselves.
    Hi Erwynn,

Making these isn't as hard as you might think, but you should have a good table or circular saw to cut the sheets of acrylic (plexiglass). Most shops will cut to size, but they'll charge you a fee to cut that many pieces.

The video on youtube is okay, but you shouldn't brush the solvent on like he shows. Buy the syringe bottle at the acrylic shop and apply the solvent to one edge of acrylic. Mate that edge with whatever piece you want. You've got about a minute before the solvent sets the two pieces together. Within 3 minutes, it will be fairly solid, but you want to wait 24 hours for full strength.

Also, the cut edges are pretty rough, so you'll want to polish them. DO NOT apply solvent to these edges after you polish. The acrylic with crackle at the contact point and look awful. Polish the rough edges after assembly.

Definitely make a little wood jig to help align all the pieces, and use clamps to hold pieces in place so they don't slip.

Also, drill air holes using an acrylic bit versus using screens. Don't want the T's catching their fangs in the screens.

Here's one of many that I've made. Good luck!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinkys-new-home.jpg 
Views:	849 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	110