Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Colorado bugs.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    79

    Colorado bugs.

    We don't have anything really note-worthy, do we? Some google search for colorado bugs and I think the coolest I've seen was the Ironclad Beetle

    I once saw an Argiope Spp. at work though it came in with Produce's pumpkin load, so I'd assume it'd be somewhere... Not in the Denver area.

  2. #2
    Website Admin Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    Hmm, I'm not really sure I understand what "bugs" refers to, or "note-worthy". I mean, we have scorpions, centipedes, tarantulas, pepsis wasps, wheel bugs, velvet ants, preying mantises, Dolomedes, black widows, wolfies.... I could go on. Is that what you're looking for? We do have Argiope in CO. I've seen them in the Springs.

  3. #3
    Website Admin Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    ...and I didn't even touch on moths or butterflies. Or grasshoppers... Or... hahaha.

  4. #4
    Website Admin Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    Oh, And! We have species of insects in CO that you will only find in CO because they only live in the Great Sand Dunes: http://www.nps.gov/grsa/naturescience/insects.htm

  5. #5
    Website Admin Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    I'm hijacking your thread.

    Have you ever checked out our Flickr photo albums: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhbc There are some of CO field trips and you can see some of the neat creatures we've come across.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    79

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bell View Post
    Hmm, I'm not really sure I understand what "bugs" refers to, or "note-worthy". I mean, we have scorpions, centipedes, tarantulas, pepsis wasps, wheel bugs, velvet ants, preying mantises, Dolomedes, black widows, wolfies.... I could go on. Is that what you're looking for? We do have Argiope in CO. I've seen them in the Springs.
    I mean bugs as in all invert's in general. More or less focusing around insects, arachnids, myriapods, and so forth.We don't really have anything FLASHY, I should say. Except Pepsis Wasp. We don't have any bugs with special techniques on anything. Northern states have the amazing Lucanus Elaphus. Southern states have Dynastes Tityus. NC has Longhorn Beetles. California has.. Uhm... I don't think they have anything, either.

  7. #7
    Website Admin Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    Well, "flashy" is subjective. Big beetles are cool and I'd be stoked to see one; but I'd be more stoked to see a tarantula than a stag beetle.

  8. #8
    Website Admin Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    And I just want to note, field trips are going to become more interesting for bug enthusiasts. As a club, we're focusing more on bugs than herps, now. In the past, though, we've always spent more time chasing snakes than, like, flipping logs and what not. We're going to have more bug-centered fields trips and events.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    79

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bell View Post
    Oh, And! We have species of insects in CO that you will only find in CO because they only live in the Great Sand Dunes: http://www.nps.gov/grsa/naturescience/insects.htm
    Never noticed these bugs in any lists. Cool.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    79

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bell View Post
    Well, "flashy" is subjective. Big beetles are cool and I'd be stoked to see one; but I'd be more stoked to see a tarantula than a stag beetle.
    I suppose I'm more beetle guy than anything else.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator widowman10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    C-springs
    Posts
    803

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhaynes View Post
    Northern states have the amazing Lucanus Elaphus. Southern states have Dynastes Tityus. NC has Longhorn Beetles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhaynes View Post
    I suppose I'm more beetle guy than anything else.
    i can tell



    i'm looking forward to some good bug trips this summer!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    79

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by widowman10 View Post
    i can tell



    i'm looking forward to some good bug trips this summer!
    Me, too! I hope you guys would let me tag along on one or two so I could find some bugs.

    maybe my brother, too. Though I think he'd be more eager about reptiles.

  13. #13
    Website Admin Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: Colorado bugs.

    You can join us for any meeting you'd want; and friends/family/etc... are always welcome, too! We'll definitely still come across herps while out in the field. We have to keep an eye out for rattlers for safety's sake. Yeah... just for our own safety.

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Assassin Bugs
    By Bell in forum Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •