Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Scorpion Identification please?

Thread: Scorpion Identification please?

Scorpion Identification please?

I bought these two, thinking they were Arizona Barks. (C. Sculpturatus) Instant fight set me off that idea, hearing Sculp's are communal. And posted these pictures on another forum. One person thinks they're H. Spinigerus.

So I'm wondering on your inputs. They're both approx 2 inches, including tail.

Re: Scorpion Identification please?

Definitely not bark scorpions. I'd say H spinigerus would be a good guess based on its claws and the striped tail ridges.

Thank you!

I would say it is in the vaejovis/hoffimannius genus. I agree with Bell about probably being spinigerus. As for them being communal, any scorpions can/will show aggression towards one another when they are first introduced. I have kept both centruroides (vittatus not sculpturatus) and V/H spinigerus. I have kept both communal, and both got along fine. There was some aggression at times in both species, but no cannibalism happened. My spinigerus actually bred and gave me ~25-30 scorplings.

Even though they are not Centruroides, they can be kept together, just keep them well fed. It is always disappointing when you get the wrong inverts from a purchase, but spinigerus are pretty neat little scorps.

Quote Originally Posted by Selket View Post
    I would say it is in the vaejovis/hoffimannius genus. I agree with Bell about probably being spinigerus. As for them being communal, any scorpions can/will show aggression towards one another when they are first introduced. I have kept both centruroides (vittatus not sculpturatus) and V/H spinigerus. I have kept both communal, and both got along fine. There was some aggression at times in both species, but no cannibalism happened. My spinigerus actually bred and gave me ~25-30 scorplings.

Even though they are not Centruroides, they can be kept together, just keep them well fed. It is always disappointing when you get the wrong inverts from a purchase, but spinigerus are pretty neat little scorps.
    Oh. I mean I tried to give them a -little- time together, one started running away, I was then going to get food, and as I came back, I saw they had a hold of each other, and one was going for a sting (Tail was just overhead of the other.) And I've never bred scorpions before (Though I did watch a few videos prior, and was aware of the tail caressing.) but I doubt November would have counted as part of their breeding season. Let alone doubt they were heated for awhile, and my heat supply was turned off at the time, so doubt they had sufficient heating to attempt breeding.