Thread: Roach heating

Roach heating

What do you all do for heating your roaches (If they have their own heat source, not entire room in eighties.) As I have my roaches in my bedroom closet and don't appreciate my room being above seventy-three. I used to use an ordinary heat pad for humans, it worked fine for a few months, reaching 86 in the bins on warm side, but lately rarely reaches seventy-five. And this was a nice heat pad, it costed me $50+ but I need one more reliable, thinking of even getting an electric blanket, instead.

Wait, would this be better in the feeder section? Sorry.

Re: Roach heating

What kind of enclosure do you have them in?

Is there any way to store them in a smaller space? Like a bathroom or closet? (and then use a space heater?)

You could try an under the tank heater like what herp keepers use. I've read about lots of people using them on plastic enclosures with no issues. I would be watchful of that, though. Using one in conjunction with a thermostat would probably be best. I've also seen folks use ceramic heaters or heat lamps on their plastic bins. Just modify the lid to be a screen top (cut a large hole and attach metal window screening) and put the heater on the screen.

If you're using a glass aquarium, you can use either of those options w/out worrying about it melting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell View Post
    What kind of enclosure do you have them in?

Is there any way to store them in a smaller space? Like a bathroom or closet? (and then use a space heater?)

You could try an under the tank heater like what herp keepers use. I've read about lots of people using them on plastic enclosures with no issues. I would be watchful of that, though. Using one in conjunction with a thermostat would probably be best. I've also seen folks use ceramic heaters or heat lamps on their plastic bins. Just modify the lid to be a screen top (cut a large hole and attach metal window screening) and put the heater on the screen.

If you're using a glass aquarium, you can use either of those options w/out worrying about it melting.
    I do have them in my closet, in a clear plastic sterilite tub ontop of a mini-fridge. It's a really small closet, though. I took temperatures with my tempgun, and it read 86. But I'm assuming that's the plastic, itself being eighty-six, which I'd need the warmth to be in the air.

Edit. So I got a small space heater, I moved them out of my closet in fear that my clothes would be too close to the heater and turn out for the worse.

Another edit: So I got the temperatures to what I need, but now I have trouble reaching the humidity I need, The only position I can get it into, the heater blows directly into the ventilation hole. (I hear ventilation on the sides hold humidity and heat better than the roof, and also aids in cross ventilation. Any instant fixes? Should I make another roach bin with a screen in the lid, instead? I also need a better hydrometer, humidity gauge. I think my thermometer/humidity gauge is being wonky. The temperature works fine, but the humidity gauge is going all over the place. Less than a minute ago, 70% humidity, now 31% Any ideas on a more reliable one?

Third edit: the Space heater I got is annoying, and automatically shuts off every ten minutes due to over heating, and only way to turn back on is to unplug the heater and plug back in. So I'm going to return it. Still any ideas on a small space heater? I think I like that idea the most

I use a ceramic space heater for my creatures. It's self-regulating so it will turn off and turn on as needed based on what setting it is on. I like ceramics because they don't force air at my creatures. I imagine that would bother them. That said, at work I use a Pelonis desk-sized fan heater and it never goes off.

As far as humidity goes... Well, when I had a roach bin I never used gauges or anything, honestly. If you start seeing mangled wings (that aren't from roaches attacking each other) then you know have a humidity issue, because they're not molting properly. Tropical roaches can do well with lower humidity. I always had a full water dish and I misted daily and had no issues.

The only problem is, I have Lateralis. And I hear, even though they're not, their eggs are sensitive to humidity errors. My Hissers did fine, being misted only like once every other week. But they're live birth.

Yeah, lateralis should do okay with CO's humidity. Their humidity can drop as low as 40%. I don't know of any Denver keepers who did anything out of the ordinary to keep their humidity up. Just water dish and misting daily. Keep in mind our relative humidity fluctuates during the day (http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBKF.html), so going from 70% to 30% may not be something wrong with your set up and/or equipment. And even if the relative humidity is in the 20%'s, that doesn't mean your roach's enclosure will be at 20%... because that's a smaller environment that's kept at a higher temperature.

The best way to increase humidity, though, is to add substrate. That would definitely solve your problem but might introduce a couple more.

This is a great discussion on lateralis care: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show...lis-care-sheet GoTerps and one other member posted that they keep their lateralis completely dry. I don't know where GoTerps has gone, now, but he's really, super knowledgeable about inverts and has been a keeper for a decade now, at least.

And for your heater, is it the Safe-T-Furnace? NTK15 model? I question, because it's one of the few, I see that oscillates

Do you mean the one at my desk? It doesn't oscillate. It says "Fan Forced heater model: HF-0003 0906" Oh, it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/PELONIS-HEATER.../dp/B000PAQHLG It's a great heater. I've used it almost every work day for, like, yeeeears. Still going strong! I got it at Ace Hardware.

In that caresheet link from my last post, the OP wrote that they use heat rope in their enclosure. Have you thought about that? I have no experience with that but that may make it safe to put your roaches back in your closet?

Hmm.. I was thinking heat rope, but thought I'd try a small space heater, first. But that doesn't seem it's going to happen.

I've bought a few adult pairs from one on Arachnoboards, and ever since, my colony wreaks like crickets and I can tell they weren't kept nicely, at all. I only had enough time to throw them in before leaving for work. Because I've came back from work, my colony started stinking BAD, and I noticed some of those beetles you typically find with crickets if you ever get them from Petco and Petsmart. I've destroyed all those beetles I've found, but anyway to get rid of that disgusting smell? Because last I heard, they stink, but nowhere near this bad.