Thread: Wild T's

Wild T's

Just a thought on wild collecting t's... when a burrow is found it is often flooded to draw out the spider right? if said t is a mature female with an egg sack in her hole could flooding her hole potentially drown the babies, or even just change the tamps/moisture un-naturallt enough to upset said egg-sac??? I say all this not to condone or chastice wild collecting tarantulas but only to make us think about what we are doing when we collect. as we know it takes many years for a t to mature and if we are going to take adults out of the population before their time it is essential we think about the young t's because they need to take the place of the adults we are collecting...

Re: Wild T's

Good thread, Mike!

Some of my thoughts on collecting wild ts:
    1) Unless it's for research, I don't collect wild ts and I encourage the same of others. Though, like you, I won't chastise folks who collect. I understand how cool it is to own a "local."
    2) The best time to collect tarantulas is at night when they're out hunting. That way you don't even need to mess with the burrows. So, look for burrows during the day and come back at night to stalk the spider.
    3) During day collecting, I recommend first trying to entice the spider out of its burrow by brushing a piece of grass or something over its webbing, lightly. I've had luck doing this.
    4) When the soil is dry and cracked, flooding will not work. Flooding, in this instance, also will not harm the spider... it's just a huge waste of water that you could be drinking while you're hiking around the high plains!
    5) You can often tell how big a tarantula will be based on the size of the burrow entrance. If it's a smallish webbed up hole, it's a juvie.
    6) Momma ts (wolfies included) are very protective of their egg sacs and will do what they need to do to ensure its survival, including leaving the burrow with it.
    7) Momma ts will be ready to drop egg sacs in June. If you're concerned about removing a momma from her eggs, don't collect in June/July.
    8) Digging for ts is pretty much worthless. Them burrows can be loooong.
    9) Not all ts live in burrows.

How do you guys feel about collecting a momma AND her egg sac?

what's the purpose? i guess i wouldn't hesitate if it was for research or something.

also, on the original topic- it's good to be aware of these things. but i guess i wouldn't be too concerned about the population if it is very healthy. it's not like anybody is out decimating the local pop just to take cool stuff home. here and there, not bad. just be aware