Thread: The wait is over :)

The wait is over :)

Well I have been contemplating getting this for around 8 months and have finally decided to pull the trigger. I am looking for a juvenile crocodile monitor to join the fam. I started getting the supplies to build his/her cage today. It is going to be 10 long by 12 tall by 5 deep. I am going to lift the cage by 2ft for the pond drainage so I can clean it easier and run the mist king in it. So far it looks like am going to build the climbing branches as I go. The only problem is testing split design...I am making it where I can split the cage in half by its length for transport..we'll see.
    It would be really nice to see one at Repticon this weekend....

Re: The wait is over :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bull74 View Post
    Well I have been contemplating getting this for around 8 months and have finally decided to pull the trigger. I am looking for a juvenile crocodile monitor to join the fam. I started getting the supplies to build his/her cage today. It is going to be 10 long by 12 tall by 5 deep. I am going to lift the cage by 2ft for the pond drainage so I can clean it easier and run the mist king in it. So far it looks like am going to build the climbing branches as I go. The only problem is testing split design...I am making it where I can split the cage in half by its length for transport..we'll see.
    It would be really nice to see one at Repticon this weekend....
    My first post back, and I can say with full honesty (because I only got 5 hours of sleep and don't care), is that owning a croc monitor is both stupid and irresponsible.

Tell me, how much experience do you have with monitors? I know people with 30+ years who won't keep them, the potential for damage is massive.

I have to agree with Mike here. We had a Nile for several years and the attitude and strength of the larger monitors is not for everyone. I think you should do some more research to figure out what you want with an animal like that. Why do you want a monitor, what is it that is appealing from a croc monitor that you can't find in another different species of monitor? Is it the size? Or is the "I want cool giant mean lizard that no one else has?" Cause if that's your reason, don't get one. Size wise, there are plenty of larger sized monitors that have better temperaments and don't eat like a dinosaur.

If you haven't done a bunch of research yet... I'd suggest this read.
    http://proexotics.com/FAQ2.html#monitor_croc

After having a large highly defensive monitor, it taught me I don't want something strong enough to take off fingers or possibly even a limb. No matter how much you try and tame down your croc monitor as a baby, in the end, it's an animal, and varanids of that temperament are unpredictable.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

I will say though, if you are serious into getting a monitor, and a large one at that, I do have a 4+ ft black throat male, who's tame I'll sell you, so you can get your hands dirty with a big monitor that's not going to put you in the hospital. A lot easier to care for too rofl.

Thanks for the information I also have a recommendation, if you only got "5 hours of sleep" I would wait till you you are in a better state of mind to choose words to describe someone you don't know like "stupid And irresponsible". I have researched this for almost a year, talked to pro exotics in person along with the reptileranger in Michigan which had a successful breeding of them. This decision is not a overnight "this would be really cool" idea. But something I have thought about over a year and have been aggressively researching for over the last 8 months.

I joined this forum to share experiences and love of different animals not to be judged or questioned on my experience levels. input is always well received but criticism is not.

Whoa, hey, I missed this thread. I think it's a case of Mike and Erin haven't met you, Dave. They must be operating under the assumption that you're some kid who's in the hobby for the fad of it.

BTW, Mike, "because I only got 5 hours of sleep and don't care" is certainly not the mentality we want our forum moderators to have. You reminded me that I wanted to remove moderators from our forums, anyway. Thanks!

Bell.
    No worries Its kind of funny anyway because I just got back from the ER anyway(see my other post under general)......lol Maybe a little karma back at me for responding....lol

Bell- First, I could care less if you remove my forum Mod, you know that kind of thing really doesn't matter to me, so throwing that in my face was kind of silly, considering I've logged in only a couple times in the past few months (mainly to check this thread). Not to mention I pretty much disappeared for awhile. It doesn't change the fact that virtually no one in this city understands varanids at all (including every reptile shop, and nearly every keeper).

Also, I don't need to meet you Dave. I don't need to have more than 5 hours of sleep. 5 hours of sleep was my way of explaining my bluntness. I generally don't sugar coat these things regardless. What I said is 100% true. In my eyes (and most varanid keepers eye's) there is 0 difference between keeping a crocodile monitor, and a pet lion. Sure, you may get away with it for years, maybe even keep it successfully it's whole life. I'm not debating that. I'm debating the following:

A. Do you have ANY monitor experience? No amount of reptile experience in the world can prepare you for a monitor, especially the larger species, I know first hand after dealing with over a dozen species personally that it literally makes 0 difference. I kept everything under the sun before my first monitor (a nile), and it literally meant nothing other than - I knew where to buy feeders from. You're talking about getting one of the biggest and most powerful reptiles (if not the most in some peoples eyes) and using it to learn how to take care of and read a monitor.

B. Why? What is the purpose? Hardly anyone captive breeds them- so you're surely going to have to buy an import- why promote importing of these animals in the pet trade? Why do you feel the need to own this animal?

C. The potential for damage is extremely high. Even if you could potentially get away with it, just like you could a lion. Why put yourself at risk? I wanted a croc for a long time, I had well over 3 years of research into the species. I had hands on experience with both crocs and komodos. I had successfully kept, raised, and rehabbed several species of monitors. I even had bid on a couple from Ben Seigel a couple of times. I got engaged and suddenly a little light clicked on in my head. Why in the world would I own this animal? Why would I put myself in a position of possible serious harm just so I can own and take care of this species? Why would I risk hospital bills, potential damage to my body that could put me on disability for the rest of my life. Potential damage that would prevent me from doing things a normal person could do. Hell, I would even go as far as to say- a large male could even possibly kill me. Why put myself in that situation, why put my family in the position of having to worry about me with this animal?

There is ZERO real reward from owning this species. It's a species that SHOULD NOT be kept in captivity. I don't care who you are or what experience you have, how old you are, or why you are in this hobby. It's not an animal to be kept privately at all. I would like to think I'm very good at reading a monitor and it's body language, and feeding responses, when to back off. I still after years of working hands on with many species. I still learn new things about my monitors and their behavior. I still managed to end up taking a bite from a monitor I thought I understood extremely well. Imagine if that was a croc.

If you want to go this route, I can't stop you. I can say it's stupid and irresponsible and I'll say it here, to anyone's face who wants to work with this species, and I'll keep that stance as long as people can buy these animals. AT LEAST, start smaller, hell even go with something like a nile. Get a feel for how a monitor behaves, get a feel for it's growth rate, it's feeding responses, it's attitude, learn when to back off and when the animal is trusting you and relaxed. Learn hands on with something that isn't going to hospitalize or disable you. THEN decide if you want to take the next step. Magnify everything you've learned from your first monitor and imagine it as a croc. Think about it and talk it over with your family- and I mean all of it. Make sure they understand the risk you are going to be taking daily when changing the water, feeding, and cleaning. If your family is anything like mine- they will love you enough to say "god no, we don't want to risk you being hurt".

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    ...I've logged in only a couple times in the past few months...
    That's exactly why all moderators needed to be removed to begin with.