Thread: Planning to get a blue tongue skink, a couple questions

Planning to get a blue tongue skink, a couple questions

I can not find any clear dimensions to a cage for these guys. Best I found was a 3'L x 3'W x 2'H. Where am I going to find that awkward shaped cage? I do have, however... A 4'L x 2'W x 2'H wooden cage, would this be okay? Would the wooden part be bad for the misting? Would it be bad since it opens in the front and will only allow approximately three-four inches of substrate?
    Eight legged symbols of evil? Why do I trust them more than most humans?

Re: Planning to get a blue tongue skink, a couple questions

Just my opinion (and not a professional one), If 3x3 is big enough 4x2 is really close, you're only losing 1 square foot of floor space. I never liked wood as a cage because it is porous and can be a haven for bacteria and is very hard to sanitize or clean, but there are alot of sealers you can use to seal the wood as long as you give it enough time to properly dry so that there are no more noxious fumes to bother the animals. And as far as the depth of substrate, you can always put a barrier across behind the opening as high as you want to increase substrate depth. I hope this helps and good luck.

Re: Planning to get a blue tongue skink, a couple questions

I used Melamine and sealant for my 5x3x2. Only took me a week to make and hold moisture really good.