Thread: Resin Casting Information

Resin Casting Information

While at the ATS Conference in 2011, I sat in on the presentation Rhys Brigada gave about "Casting Invertebrate Specimens in Resin."

Rhys wrote this article about casting tarantulas in resin: Clear Liquid Plastic Casting Resin. This is probably the best starting point for resin casting I've seen. It's written as an article, though, so it's not an easy to navigate step-by-step plan. It's also very old, but it's still what Rhys does to this day. He brought in some examples of his resin work and it all looked fantastic.

One tip he gave at the conference, which, in just glancing through the article I don't see, is when it comes to adding layers where there are hairs, take a brush and add resin to the hairs, first, and then pour the next layer. That helps eliminate bubbles along the hairs.

When I think of more, I'll post it... but if you're looking to do resin, that article is a great place to start.

(And I placed this in the arachnid forum because Rhys brought in arachnids as examples and his article refers specifically to tarantulas he's casted. I'm sure this method could be modified for other inverts.)

Re: Resin Casting Information

thanks for posting this up! definitely reading...

Thanks this is super helpful. Our OBT is still chilling in the freezer until I'm ready to make a resin of him. ^_^
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Erin liiiiiiiives!

i've found that any T's that sit in the freezer longer than about 6 months (give or take) will freeze-dry. they become almost impossible to work with.