Thread: Howdy

Howdy

I'm from Alamosa and I work at a farm equipment dealership. I used to hang out at the alligator farm down here when I was a teenager. The owners kids were my friends and one of my best friends worked there. I moved away for about 10 years but moved back when Jay Young offered me a job at the farm. I worked there for a year, wresting the gators, giving tours, educating people about reptiles, ect, ect. Thats when I started collecting and breeding snakes and lizards. After I quit working for the alligator farm, people were contacting me about taking on or finding homes for unwanted animals which was cool for a while. Most of the people I was dealing with were awesome but there are always those few "sketchy" types that are hard to deal with and I burned out on the whole thing a few years later. I gave away all of my animals and quit dealing with exotics and got a dog. I was still interested in all kinds of animals and would go on weekend trips to see or take pics of native wildlife, either by myself or with my nieces (they are the only ones who like that kind of stuff, lol). Last year, I took one of my nieces to the comanche grasslands. We saw prarie rattlers, bull snakes, horned toads, bull frogs, antelope, black widows. You name it, we saw it, except for the two things I wanted to find - tarantulas and tortoises. Last fall, I saw a grammostola rosea at the local pet store. I went back that next weekend and bought her. She was awesome. Started burrowing 2 days after i got her and made a really cool hide of her own and ignored the one I placed in the cage. Now I'm hooked. I turned one of the bedrooms in my house into a spider room and now that's where I have been spending my time, lol. I even moved the computer and a tv into the spider room so I can observe them more. I was thinking of going to the expo in Febuary and checked out the wesite. Thats where I found this club. From the little I've seen so far, there are alot of people with great experience and alot of information that i can use, and hopefully, maybe I can contribute something.

Re: Howdy

Welcome! Hope to see you at the reptile expo. If you like watching them burrow try a H. Gigas. I warned mine till sunrise onetime while he was making tunnels. I even got some of it on video. Welcome again.

Re: Howdy

Thank you. I hope to make it to the expo but it's a four hour drive each way and I might not be able to make it this time. I had to do a search on H. Gigas, even found a video of a guy who's T swims, lol. It sounds like an elaborate tunneler and might be something I'll be interested in later on. Again thank you.