Thread: I'm back and want to expand my collection!

I'm back and want to expand my collection!

I'm thinking Rhopalurus junceus, Hadrurus arizonensis or my very first tarantula (No idea what species, I find no reliable lists online and my old arachnid collecting friend is just as unreliable, he was only putting "Hardiness" into the equation, and put OBT on the top of the list, haha. (Though I've kept baby whip spiders for about a year and a half, still have them.)

Re: I'm back and want to expand my collection!

Isaac (one of the club's founding members) had R junceus and they're gorgeous scorpions. Very neat looking and a species you don't often see in the hobby. Or at least I don't. He's the only one I've seen have them.

Are you thinking you should start w/ a true "beginner" tarantula? Or do you know what you'd want in a tarantula? Like... arboreal vs terrestrial, NW vs OW, brown vs blue, etc... haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell View Post
    Isaac (one of the club's founding members) had R junceus and they're gorgeous scorpions. Very neat looking and a species you don't often see in the hobby. Or at least I don't. He's the only one I've seen have them.

Are you thinking you should start w/ a true "beginner" tarantula? Or do you know what you'd want in a tarantula? Like... arboreal vs terrestrial, NW vs OW, brown vs blue, etc... haha.
    Whatever you recommend that isn't lethal. I'd also prefer terrestrial, but can do with arboreal

I'm also tempted to grab a few Euryurus leachii, it seems Bugsincyberspace has them in stock
    Eight legged symbols of evil? Why do I trust them more than most humans?

I think G pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) are good terrestrial, non-lethal (lol) bugs. They're not as "boring" as Rosies but are still from the Grammostola genus. Not known to be hair kickers, get decent-sized, gorgeous (I think, at least). Anything from the Brachypelma genus would be good but they tend to be hair kickers, at least more so than Grammies.

One of my first tarantulas was an L parahybana (Brazilian Salmon Pink). They're awesome. Fast growing and get LARGE. Tend to be very skittish, though, and hair kickers, also.....

(I always say I'd rather get bit than hair kicked so I'm a little hung up on that, if you couldn't tell, lol.)

When ever you get into arboreals you have to get an Avicularia species. True arboreals and great "starters." .... I hate them for my own reasons but I see no reason to not recommend them to someone else.

I think G pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) are good terrestrial, non-lethal (lol) bugs. They're not as "boring" as Rosies but are still from the Grammostola genus. Not known to be hair kickers, get decent-sized, gorgeous (I think, at least). Anything from the Brachypelma genus would be good but they tend to be hair kickers, at least more so than Grammies.

One of my first tarantulas was an L parahybana (Brazilian Salmon Pink). They're awesome. Fast growing and get LARGE. Tend to be very skittish, though, and hair kickers, also.....

(I always say I'd rather get bit than hair kicked so I'm a little hung up on that, if you couldn't tell, lol.)

When ever you get into arboreals you have to get an Avicularia species. True arboreals and great "starters." .... I hate them for my own reasons but I see no reason to not recommend them to someone else.
    Yeah, my coworker said he was going to get me the avicularia versicolor for my birthday... Didn't get it, haha.

I was all most tempted to get that one mexican blonde sling (I forgot the scientific name and full common name, haha.) from the butterfly pavilion a while back. Is G Pulchripes a webber?

I am curious about how people clean heavy webber cages, wouldn't that be stressful? I'd understand like scorpions or light webbers when their cages go through full cleanings, but like... Heavy webbers, they have to basically remake their entire web fortress. Where as light webbers and just have to dig and lay minor strands of web.

Also, don't laugh at my request for non-lethal, I have a four year old niece that I see almost every day.

Mexican Blonde is probably an Aphonopelma chalcodes. Neither that species nor the Chaco Golden Knee are very heavy webbers. Um... I've kept some very heavy webbers (Avics, OBTs, GBBs) and can't say I've ever had a problem keeping them clean. Avics, yeah, it sucks because you're tearing down where they live. They tend to rebuild the web by the next day, though. It's much better to clean it then leave it be and have it attract mold and mites! At a certain point the webbing becomes almost brittle so it's easy to tear and break "dirty" pieces away from the rest of the web.

Another one of my first Ts was a Cobalt Blue. I bought her off a guy on Craigslist. She lived in a cup (within her aquarium) and had webbed the entrance closed. Eventually, like, a month later, she decided to come out and we could actually hear her break through her webbing. It almost sounded like someone punching through really thick paper.

So, ripping up webs won't over stress them? That's good to know, since I'll most likely move to heavy webbers later on.

S

Yeah, you know, if it does stress them I never saw any "stressed out" behavior from my heavy webbers. They can re-web so quickly.

If you eventually want a heavy webber you HAVE to get a Green Bottle Blue. My GBB turned her aquarium into a "winter wonderland" over night, hahaha.

Are you wanting to get a baby and raise it up or do you want to get something already grown? Reptillian Paradise has a beautiful Grammastola pulchripes for sale very resonable price. They also have a really pretty Aphonopelma chalcodes for sale there. Let me know if you are interested I can probably get you a good deal I am friends with the owner there.

Yeah, you know, if it does stress them I never saw any "stressed out" behavior from my heavy webbers. They can re-web so quickly.

If you eventually want a heavy webber you HAVE to get a Green Bottle Blue. My GBB turned her aquarium into a "winter wonderland" over night, hahaha.
    I'd love to watch that, I'd set up a camera or something.

I also need keeping information for Chaco, I can only find a few care sites, one says 65-76 degrees, other says 71-80 degrees, one says 70% humidity, other says 55-65%. And I'd trust our club members before these websites.