Thread: Slugo sick?

Slugo sick?

I was doing maintenance on my T's today and I noticed Slugo (Goliath Birdeater) acting strange. Well I lured him out and man was I shocked. He had a really great molt on the 28th of August and now all of a sudden he has this weird spot on his rear. He doesn't throw hairs so its not a bald patch. I did maitenance last Tuesday and it wasn't there. He ate twice since then. Any ideas? Do you think this is what RobC had with Zilla?
    Man I hate this......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slugo sick.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	46   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slugo sick2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	47  

Re: Slugo sick?

Hmm, well, I don't see anything that looks like an injury.... like, a bulge or something that could be an infection. The bald spot is pretty brightly colored but he did "recently" molt (Aug is pretty recent for a large NW). Maybe he's still kicking hairs even if you're not seeing him do it. Goliaths are notorious hair kickers... and I've read theories that they layer hair on the ground outside their burrows, too, for, like, protection. I've had Brachys kick hair when I'm not around. I always attributed it to something stressing them out and I'd reevaluate how I was keeping them. How are you keeping him (like, temp, humidity, etc...?)

But, when you say "acting strange" what do you mean? Twitching? Dragging legs?

His temp is 78 and humidty is 70. He has been skttish, before he would either be on top or in his hide and stay there. Now when I get near his cage he runs to the corner and huddles.

Has he been eating okay?

Have you recently changed where you're keeping him? Or lighting in the area?

His eating has been different, normally as soon as I drop one in he jumps then I'll drop another and he attack that one. Now he hides and waits till later to eat. Nothing else has changed. He's had the same neighber (cobalt) since he's been there.

Well, still eating is a good sign. Skittish is a trait I can give to many tarantulas so that may or may not indicate anything... and it's not weird for "personalities" to change after molting, for whatever reason.

The one thing w/ Goliaths being kept in CO is that we are so dry here it's hard to keep their humidity up. The only thing I could say to try to change is getting his humidity up above 80%. Maybe use a bigger water dish and/or cover a portion of his screen w/ aluminum foil (that helped me w/ my Cobalt... both of those guys should be at at least 80% humidity but, again, it's hard in CO). Misting and soaking some of his substrate could help....... if you're already doing all of those things I'm not sure what else you could try, haha. I'd have to look in to that.

Keep an eye on him but, like, try to not disturb/stress him.

still looks fine to me. and like bell said, goliaths will line their burrows with hair. if he is not a kicker usually, i would attribute the loss of hair directly following a molt to this.

no need to worry yet IMO.

Great! Thanks. I was hoping it was Nothing.

I went to the butterfly pavilion Saturday and their mexican redleg had an almost identical patch on his rear. If you are still worried about him, you might try contacting them and see if they have anything to say about it. I hope its nothing to worry about

Thanks, I give them a ring this week.