Thread: Tokay Gecko Defending its Kind

Tokay Gecko Defending its Kind

Have you guys seen this video?

Kinda neat that one gecko would try to save another. Can anyone venture a guess to the snake's species? Is it constricting the gecko to death?? Or is it venomous and the gecko will prolly die anyway?

Re: Tokay Gecko Defending its Kind

Thats a Paradise Tree Snake (Chrysopelea sp.) Aka flying snake. It is a rear-fanged lizard eater, but I think in this case the lizard is the predator and the other lizard is just trying to steal a meal!

Having watched the video a couple times I would have to say its totally misinterpreted. The snake is Chrysopelea sp. and is rear-fanged and not a constrictor. If the snakes intention were to eat the lizard it would have held on with its mouth chewing to get the venom working. The gecko is to big for the snake anyway. The gecko was the predator, and the other gecko seeing the first one with food hanging out its mouth was just trying to steal a meal.

Aaaah! See, that's why I like you, Rick. You know herp stuff. Haha! I found this on the Pangea forums. I should check to see if anyone else got your interpretation because as of last night it was gecko saving gecko. I need to change the thread title to "Tokays Gang up on Snake."

sweet video!