Thread: Presentation in December

Presentation in December

So, I've been putting off saying anything about this until it was "official." Well... it's on their website, now, so I guess I can talk about it now.

I've been invited out to Las Vegas by the Southern Nevada Herpetological Society to do a presentation on arachnids! Now, I'm kinda looking at this as an opportunity to speak to other exotic animal enthusiasts that may or may not be into arachnids..... kinda like an ambassador for arachnid keepers.

I'm going to be sticking to "popular" arachnids, meaning: true spiders, tarantulas, scorpions, solifugids, amblypygids and Thelyphonida... of course, let me know if I'm missing a "popular" arachnid. I'll be covering biology and basic care of each type of those arachnids.

I also want to touch on what it's like to keep arachnids, stigmas, etc... ...questions we all get asked, "Do you keep them all together," "Do you remove their fangs," etc...

So, I'm kinda rambling but, I hope you get the gist of the presentation. I wanted to get any feedback from my fellow exotic pet keepers on things you think I should definitely address. I know we all have different experiences in this hobby and I'd like to cover not just my personal experiences (maybe you're a strict snake keeper and think I'm weird? lol So, why do you think I'm weird?). ...so if there's anything in particular you want me to address, any personal stories of yours you'd be okay with me sharing, any misconceptions you want me to clear up, etc... let me know!

I'm hoping that maybe in Nov I can do my presentation for the club so you can see it in person, since "live" will be in LV... or I can record it. We'll see.

Re: Presentation in December

VERY COOL!! that's awesome!

i like the idea of covering the 'popular' stuff. tarantulas, followed by scorpions seem to be the biggest groups of arachnids kept by hobbyists today.

would love to see a 'rough draft' or mock presentation

I concur about the "rough draft" would love to see it!

Awesome! Sounds like fun, I really like the approach to covering stigmas.

I have 5,000,001 things I've been needing to post/do for the club and on the forums. Sorry guys! This presentation is coming up and once it's done I'll be able to focus on other things.

That said, last call for things you want me to cover? Due to time constraints I trimmed the pres down to just addressing scorpions, tarantulas and arachnid keepers.

I'll probably be posting at least my PowerPoint presentation online. We think we have a way to record the presentation so that might go up on YouTube......

Fun Fun Fun! Im excited to see it i sure hope it can be rocorded =-)

I look forward to seeing it!