Thread: Some Animal "Facts"

Some Animal "Facts"

So almost ever job site I go to, I have to go through a site orientation. Usually it is the same stuff at every job, you know always wear your hard hat, do this and not that... blah blah blah. Occasionally at the bigger jobs they talk about dangerous animals around the job. This is that part I have to hold back laughter.

Well at the job I just finished in Texas, they went into a good 20-30 speech about animals. They started with rattlesnakes, copperheads, and water moccasins. Talking about what they look like, a few pictures of bites, not to suck the venom out (or electrically shock the bite, anyone ever hear of this?), and if the snake comes at you try to kill it. A interesting thing about the rattlesnakes here though, apparently they don't rattle anymore since the wild hogs are immune to the bite/venom, so the snakes stopped hissing/rattling to not get eaten.

Then they got into insects! The first up was the brown recluse. This was the typical here is a picture of the bite from day 1 to day 10, and a picture of the spider to identify it. Then they go to the black widow, which is not as bad as the brown recluse, but it will still kill you...according to them. Next is a slide called "Scorpions" which the scorpion showed was most likely an Androctonus Australis (the only showed it for a moment) which is not native to the US let alone texas. Then they go and say that scorpions are harmless and have no venom or poison???

On a not so exaggerated note:
    They also talked about endangered animals around the jobsite, the texas horned lizard, the kangaroo rat, and apparently the whooping cranes are migrating through here soon. I guess there are only 51 pairs left in the world.

Anyways this was probably the worst orientation I had to go to, and not just the animal part. But I thought I would share the knowledge that I learned

Re: Some Animal "Facts"

It sounds like they got their "facts" off animal planet or the internet. Did they forget to tell you to call 911 in the event you do see a wild animal?

Re: Some Animal "Facts"

Only call 911 if you get bit