Thread: Lighting for your tarantulas

Lighting for your tarantulas

What type of light do you provide for your tarantulas, that's if you provide any?? I honestly think a keeping a natural light cycle for my tarantulas is important. I can't say why, but I just have a gut feeling it's better. So what's your choice light or no light.
    "A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
    - Albert Einstein

Re: Lighting for your tarantulas

been keeping them for years in my room with no extra lighting or heat. i guess i usually have my blinds open during the day (no direct sunlight on them) and close them at night. keep the house at normal (?) temps. been eating and growing for years now

Quote Originally Posted by widowman10 View Post
    been keeping them for years in my room with no extra lighting or heat. i guess i usually have my blinds open during the day (no direct sunlight on them) and close them at night. keep the house at normal (?) temps. been eating and growing for years now
    Same here no direct light, but I do have a big humidifier going all the time.

I have used some LED lights i had laying around for some of m more *natural* and good looking displays, bu i didnt notice any change in the behavior of the spiders under the lights, nor any difference too the ones still not in the light... I do agree that a light cycle is still important, expecially for nocturnal species...

Tarantulas need no lighting whatsoever.

If there is lighting it is mostly for the keeper's aesthetics. If you were to light a tarantula enclosure with some sort of "viewing" lighting I'd make sure it has basically no wattage so as to not heat the enclosure. You don't want to decimate your Ts.

I don't think a tarantulas' photo periods are as important as to say a reptile. They spend their lives in a dark burrow and are opportunistic feeders, eating and being active when food is around or when mating is involved. I'm not saying it's not neccessary for survival, as almost all animals have access to some sort of light, whether in the wilds or in your closet. Your Ts will get light at some point. Ours have actually been flourishing even more than normal since we put them in our closet. More molting, being more active, etc..

*Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

I wonder why it makes no difference??
    "A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
    - Albert Einstein