Thread: Zoo U Training to be a Denver Zoo volunteer

Zoo U Training to be a Denver Zoo volunteer

So this weekend was my training on my way to be a Denver Zoo volunteer. The training was very basic about policy and procedure and who is who. They made it very clear that we are not there to interact with animals. It seems very focused on educating and interacting with the guests to inspire and motivate them to make a difference. I love the way that the volunteer program is very structured but also allows you the ability to choose what you do there. The people running "the show" really do seem to care about you however they clearly seem to care about why they are there and it does NOT seem like it's a "just here for the paycheck" type of place.

This is only my first weekend there and I believe that I am going to start a blog very soon about my experience as a Denver Zoo volunteer and I invite you all to join me. I will send details later.

Re: Zoo U Training to be a Denver Zoo volunteer

That's very cool. I've wanted to be a docent (is that the term?) at the CMZ since I was a kid. I'll definitely read your blog. Do you know how often you get to volunteer now?

The CMZ has a traveling group of animals they bring to certain events (like, petting zoos, fundraisers, etc...) and that would be cool, too. The folks who did one of those at an event I was at a few weeks ago definitely seemed to care about the animals. One of the guys went into an in depth conversation with me about leopard conservation efforts (or lack thereof) in China.

I will get to volunteer as much as I would like to or that time will allow. Docent is the term and that is what I am hoping to be as well. I wish CMZ was closer because that is where I would rather do my volunteering. I love that place. Sorry Denver Zoo :(

Sounds great Figgy. DO you get to pick which animals you work with?