Thread: Hognose Snake

Hognose Snake

Has anyone ever seen one wild in colorado? ive read that they are here, and could very possible be found in vogel canyon, so im hoping to be able to see one or even better catch one while on our trip this weekend. i havent been able to find much about there natural behavior except that one person wrote about his incounter with one during the day. i think there are very interesting snakes and are leagal to take from the wild as long as it is not sold or bartered so if i come across one i may be inclined to take it home with me lol. there seems to be some debate on weather or not they are poisinous as well, anyone know more than me about this?

Re: Hognose Snake

They are venomous but, other than pain and swelling, you don't have much to worry about. The only wild hognose I've seen was in MO (I don't really go tot Vogel looking for snakes). When disturbed it flattened out like a cobra and HISSSSSED.... it was a neat snake.

rear-fanged, and some local swelling and a bit of pain.

sweet video bell!!

Be aware however, some people have had bad allergic reactions to the bites of these snakes.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on this but if it is rear fanged ...how would one have an allergic reaction to a bite unless the person bit allowed the thing to chew on them for a bit? I can understand the swelling due to the tissue trauma but still scratching my head on the allergic reaction. I did own one of these and it liked to strike a lot but never with an open mouth but more of just a bluff.

Well, yeah, that's pretty much it.... you'd have to reallllly stick your body part in its mouth and let it chew on you for a bit.