Thread: Colorado laws regarding the collection of Insects and arachnids

Colorado laws regarding the collection of Insects and arachnids

is anyone aware of any laws about colleting bugs in colorado? i know reptiles and amphibians are restricted but i cannot find anything about bugs, specifically scorpions. i do know you cannot sell anything collected in the state but i would assume if you were to collect them to keep for yourself it would be alright.

Re: Colorado laws regarding the collection of Insects and arachnids

I have never seen any laws in regards to inverts. Other than a couple mollusks no inverts are threatened or on a conservation plan. And I'll be honest with you... the last time we were camping at John Martins and the officer stopped to asked what we were doing we WERE on the state park land (where you're not supposed to do any collecting/hunting (I didn't know that at the time)) and we told him we were hunting for scorpions and he just let us go.

Right on, thats good to know.

Insects and Arachnids are essentially ignored in Colorado - they are not regulated nor even acknowledged as "wildlife". Collecting in National Forests, Grasslands or State Parks is permitted (for your personal collection). I've done lots of work in the State Parks here and generally all they want is notification that you're out there and what you're doing. Because insects aren't wildlife and aren't regulated each park basically makes up their own rules. Some parks have requested a Special Use Permit to be filled out, which is just your contact information and license plate. Some parks might be less happy to have you collecting insects and arachnids...but it's just about being friendly and talking to the ranger.