Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Woodhouse’s Toad

Thread: Woodhouse’s Toad

Woodhouse’s Toad

We were out hicking around a few lakes down in littleton this weekend and happened across a Woodhouse’s Toad in the middle of the day and it was close to 90 degrees out! iv never seen a toad in colorado out in the day so i was takes by suprise, expecially because my roomate had just said if we found a toad he wanted to keep it, and i said to him these no way we will find one in the middle of the day without digging them up and poof, this toad just came hopping out of some grass i chased a lizzard by. i swooped him up with my new and he is now our newest family member, lol. my son loves his to death and we put him on the floor and he chases Dezi around. were planning on going to chatfield resiviour some night and looking for a friend for our new Woodhouse’s Toad too, think the toads we find down there are spadefoots.

Re: Woodhouse’s Toad

Neat! Wait until camping! At night you won't be able to walk around w/out nearly stepping on a toad. They're "out" during the day, too, but in the bathrooms.

Toads are fun. I havent found any spadefoots, but I'm used to only finding them on rainy nights. They can cut you and pee in that cut,so don't hold them too long!

ill keep that in mind! we made a trip down to chatfield last night and did find some toads, i was mistaken last year when i found some tho, not spadefoots just small woodhouses but really neat just the same. i now have three, one large one and two small ones...looking forward to putting together a 40Gal breeder to house them in once the little ones get a bit bigger

Is this a Woodhouse's Toad?

98% yes, without top view of cranial crests and locale can't commit to the last 2%

Spadefoots also have elliptical pupils.

Lookes like one 100% to me, but im no toad expert lol. there really arent that many types of toads in colorado and the ones that are less common than the woodhouse are really uncommon/found only in small areas.

Okay, these are the toads that are in abundance down around the John Martin Res.... so the locale is about 45 mins from La Junta... uh, going....east..... yeah. I don't think we have a photo from the top.

You can also find LOTS of them at the Cherry Creek Reservoir. Follow the reservoir to the furthest southeast beach parking lot. Follow the edge of the lake into the habitat area. You'll find them all over.