Thread: Its Mantid Season Again!

Its Mantid Season Again!

Just a heads up for you mantid collectors out there. Im personally looking to pic up some new specimens this summer and since im in a new place im not sure were im going to find them yet so if anyone has any luck finding them out there let me know if you need to find them a home!

Re: Its Mantid Season Again!

Will do! You should try to go to our camping trip w/ us because we saw mantids all over the place down there (John Martin and Vogel Canyon). If not I'll be on the lookout, for you.

when is the trip? i would love to go, and i bet my wife would too *wink wink, nudge nudge* things have been going pretty well lately =)

Seriously, Mike? Yea! I'm glad to hear that.

I think we're aiming for July 16th and 17th but we're open to dates if you want to throw dates out there.... Brian can't make the 9th and I'll be at the ATS Con on the 23rd.........

That should be a good time for us, gives us a little while to get prepaired and we dont have any plans or anything!

There are mantids all over at the job site I am at on the Oregon/Idaho border. I see usually about 3 a day. Most of them are the white/yellowish ones, but I did see one green one. I also see them on the ground at gas stations. The first mantis I saw in the "wild" was on a work trip in california on the ground at a gas station, right next to the pump. The second one I saw was on the ground at a gas station here in Idaho. Now I see them everywhere on the job site (a new natural gas power plant under construction).

I wish I drove out here for this trip, so I could bring some back, but I flew here.

interesting, i just saw my first mantid of the season yesterday...

fun stuff!!

oregon idaho border hu? i wonder if they are the same species we find here in colorado. i caught my irst mature female a cople weeks ago, i was hoping t catch some juvies much eairler in the summer but i couldent find any, not that i looked very hard. lol

Just this weekend I heard of two different mantid sightings in two different places in the Springs. So are they, like, "late bloomers?" Haha... it's around about this time of year when, like, tarantulas stop being as active (except for males I guess)... and now the mantids are out like crazy?

I believe it is the same species that we have here. I was trying to identify it via pictures on bugguide, and the white/yellowish ones looked like this: http://bugguide.net/node/view/212101/bgimage which coincidentally was taken in el paso county CO. I hope I find some here, I have wanted a mantis for quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell View Post
    Just this weekend I heard of two different mantid sightings in two different places in the Springs. So are they, like, "late bloomers?" Haha... it's around about this time of year when, like, tarantulas stop being as active (except for males I guess)... and now the mantids are out like crazy?
    Well yes and no Bell, the mantids in this part of the world are only seasional, so you only find adults at the end of the summer. its their otthicas that live threw the winter and than hatch in the spring wile all the adults die off...even indoors the adults dont live long after it cools off outside. actually even the matids that live in tropical areas dont live that long, if you want to keep them around for more than a year or so you have to breed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Selket View Post
    I believe it is the same species that we have here. I was trying to identify it via pictures on bugguide, and the white/yellowish ones looked like this: http://bugguide.net/node/view/212101/bgimage which coincidentally was taken in el paso county CO. I hope I find some here, I have wanted a mantis for quite some time now.
    I found many last year in a single 10' by 4' patch of long grass right outside my bedroom window....i just sat there and looked at every blade of grass untill i found one, its supprising how well they blend in. you can use a stick to sturr up the grass too flush them out but ive never had any success that way