Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mike's monitors !

Thread: Mike's monitors !

Mike's monitors !

So I thought I'd throw up some pictures of my monitors for you guys. I have 4 at the moment all of which are excellent captives. These guys are hands down my favorite animal to work with, and every other reptile I keep is simply for a business venture rather than pleasure.

First up is Charmander. Charmander is a little over a year old now, he's a typical common nile. I started looking into keeping monitors and decided I wanted to jump right in. I researched a lot of species including things like ackies and to be honest, most species available did not interest me. With money/time/resources not being an issue I went for a nile. I ended up going through a 4-5 month period where he received next to no food, and didn't grow at all (due to medical reasons). When I got back into things he was still ready to go. Part of why I love this species is his hardiness and the fact that even with such a long break of a few small pinks a week he's still alive and kicking. I have never force handled this animal, and am pretty hands off, however I can pick him up without worry of being bitten

When I first got him, he was maybe 6 inches long.

This is him 3-4 weeks back, he was about 40" or so in that picture, he's around 43-44" now..

Next is buddy, I "rescued" him from scales and tailes after seeing his poor condition and his housing. He had pretty bad mouth rot from the start, which has healed up decently, the only problem now is the mouth still looks really really screwed up from the whole incident.. He's missing almost every one of his claws, and the tip of his tail. He's in pretty rough shape, but at least he has plenty of food, water, and proper care with me. For those familiar with monitor care- I do not offer this individual deep soil as I do my others, he has no claws and can't dig, I use a deep bark which he can wiggle under instead.

Next is Kung-Pow, my Asian Water Monitor. He's missing a decent chunk of his tail, and a lot of nails as well. He's from S&T as well, and makes me really dislike how they handle monitors at their store. They managed to stuff this poor guy into a tiny cage, and based upon his feeding response I don't assume he ate at all while there due to stress. He's around 4' long now, and growing pretty fast for an older monitor. He has an attitude but is coming around with some working with him. Very shy and jumpy monitor, but a complete pleasure to work with!

Next is fluffy. I actually found this guy in a 2x1 cage at Valley Pets. I was pretty disgusted and managed to secure a trade for him. The workers down there where terrified of him and cleaning up after him, when in all reality he's probably the calmest monitor I own. He hisses a slight bit however has 0 problems interacting with people, or me, and does not mind handling at all. Pretty humorous that they where so terrified simply because he would investigate their hands . He's around 3 foot, all his claws/toes/tip of tail, flawless animal with a flawless personality. I was looking for one of these guys for a very long time to work with the indicus complex, and got pretty lucky getting this one..

Re: Mike's monitors !

Yea! Thanks for sharing your pics!

Okay, care question: Is it hard to keep their enclosures clean? I ask because I once babysat a Nile and when he poo'd it went everywhere (or he'd poo in his water, uh, container (which was easy to clean)). It looks like you have some pretty intricate set-ups going on. Haha, my first thought looking at the pics was "Aw man, all those nooks and crannies." Or do monitors try to poo in water most of the time? I imagine a lot of animals have this instinct (maybe, relieving themselves in water (usually flowing water in nature)) so they don't leave traces of themselves around where they're living (but would that still be a case for animals that don't really have predators?)...

Yea! Rambling!

Do you still have that Peach Throat you rescued?

It really depends on the individual itself. My nile, water, and sav all use their water dish, which is very easy to simply dump and refill every other day when needed. The mangrove however, does not use his water, he instead chooses to bury his feces, which is in and of itself pretty interesting to observe.

The peach throat I had for almost 2 weeks, after extensive feeding and proper husbandry she was doing amazing and almost healed up perfectly, she was sold to a rescue out in calhan (not free spirit!)

Nice pic! Thanks for sharing.