Thread: Season of the Moth?

Season of the Moth?

I have been working down in Pueblo for about 2 months now, and I have noticed a ridiculous amount of moths everywhere down there. They fly all day, well atleast all day that I am there (6:30 am to 5 pm). Any piece of equipment I open atleast 5 fly out. And all of a sudden out in the bright sun, flocks of them will swarm at random.

I haven't noticed them at home in the springs at all though. Has anyone else noticed this? This is my first summer in CO (we moved here in july last year) and this might be normal here, but it is a change from michigan.

Re: Season of the Moth?

Oh yeah, happens in COS, too... Miller Moth season. Cats LOVE it, hahaha...... I *think* we may be past our season now... or maybe I may have read something about the fires cutting our season short this year. It's definitely "normal" for around these parts, though.

ah, yes. nothing says spring-->summer in colorado like miller moths!!

nothing, and i mean NOTHING compares to when we lived out east. we were the first row of houses since the kansas border (i'm convinced!). the millers would come to our house by the 10's of 1000's. just to give you an idea: we decided to set off a bug-bomb one day. it looked like a WW1 battlefield. just the moths that fell on the floor in the main living areas (not to count in the walls, ducts, chimney, or attic - which probably housed 10x that of the inner living areas) numbered well over 400, we counted as we vacuumed. and 3 days later? same bug bomb, same result: 350+ moths. also, we had a deck with lots of crevices to hide under with boards and such. if you could sneak out, and jump down the moths would flood out and literally block out light. i kid you not, i've never seen anything like it, it was incredible. happened every year until falcon population exploded. then it was just normal lots-of-miller-moths

incredible.

Wow, Brian, I don't think I could deal with that.

I remember one year we went up into the mountains at night... my dad threw a rock into a large pine tree and the moths flying out from it looked like a fog emanating from the tree. It was bizarre.