Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
6-10-11 Mojave Desert Pics and Video

Thread: 6-10-11 Mojave Desert Pics and Video

6-10-11 Mojave Desert Pics and Video

So Friday night I met up with Mark Romansky do to some road herping.

Prior to getting out on the highway we stopped into Exotic Pets (Exotic Pets LV website) to check out their animal selection. They have a pretty awesome selection of animals (inverts, herps and small mammals). I did have a giggle fit when I was looking at the Coatimundis only to turn around and see a pen of Prairie Dogs. It's just funny to me to think people buy those to be pets. (Hey Brian, it's legal to have albino rattlesnakes in NV, without permits..!)

Once we got on the road and got to the spot we had a hard time finding anything. We got out and walked around the desert a bit while we waited for the sun to go down. None of the spider holes turned up anything. None of the flipped logs had life underneath them. When driving on the herping road we found a large Darkling Beetle and a dead (ran over) Gopher Snake. We were worried it was too windy and too hot for anything to come out.

Eventually our luck turned around:
    Gopher Snake (one of three live snakes):

Variable Ground Snake:

Night Lizard (one of many):

Desert Banded Gecko (one of many):

Solifugid:

Wolf Spider??:

Speckled Rattlesnake:

The amount of dead animals on the road is disheartening... we found snakes, mice, rats, a horned toad and... worst of all... a donkey. Asses are wild out there (like we have deer, wild asses just roam around). Someone actually hit one, totally trashed the front of their car (car parts/bumper laying ALL around) and then drove off.

Re: 6-10-11 Mojave Desert Pics and Video

And here is a VERY brief video of the Speckled Rattlesnake (we were thinking it was a Mojave originally... hard to see in the dark and I sure as heck wasn't getting close enough to look at its markings):

Edit: Argh, for some reason YouTube is now saying "Failed (upload aborted)" so I'll have to try again.
    Last edited by Bell; 06-20-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Okay, let's try this again:

I think eventually you'll be able to watch the HD version... this is not it, but it, honestly, doesn't get that much better. I was trying to film and use my headlamp to illuminate the snake at the same time and I'm just not that coordinated.
    Last edited by Bell; 06-20-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Fixing video

gorgeous.
    and jealous.

that is all.