Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG Website Change Coming Through

BIG Website Change Coming Through

I'm excited to announce that soon the Mile High Bug Club forums will be using a different software. I will be switching the forums from phpBB (which is a limited ability, open source software... that has been awesome to us for all these years but just doesn't offer the features I want now) to vBulletin (which is the software that, like, Arachnoboards uses). Picture it now, guys... actual galleries, events management/calendar, having your own blog, reputation, groups, etc.....

I'll get you updated when the transition will happen. They have a phpBB to vBulletin converter so HOPEFULLY it won't be messy. I don't anticipate anything being deleted so you won't lose your log-in, posts, private messages, etc...

Re: BIG Website Change Coming Through

sweet! love vbulletin!

I think it's so much more user-friendly and has so many more features that I think would be fun to have... namely the galleries! ...oh, and a calendar would rock. haha.......

Are you migrating all the posts here over to the new thing? Because some of it is comedy gold.

Hahaha! Yes, yes... they should all be transferable via the converter. Should I start a "Goldmine" forum when I do the transition?

Software has been obtained. I will be working on this in the background for a while before I actually transfer the forum data. The ONLY thing that will not transfer is your passwords.... because they're encrypted (thankfully). I have no idea what they are. I can't mine the database for what they are. All users will just have to reset their password upon initial log-in to the new forum (when it's up and going)

In a test transfer of the database everything (but attachments) made it over a-okay. I just have to figure out the attachment issue but it doesn't look like we'll be losing any data.,

Cool! I perfer Vbulliton (though this board certainly isn't the WORST I've seen - )

Quote Originally Posted by LadySharon
    Cool! I perfer Vbulliton (though this board certainly isn't the WORST I've seen - )
    Haha, well, I try to keep it user friendly.

So, I think I'm going to do the upgrade Friday night......... so THIS board will be going down FOREVER starting Friday evening at about 6 PM. Starting soon after that point http://milehighbugclub.com will be redirecting to the new forum (or at least will have a link showing you where to go...) The new board, btw is located at: http://milehighbugclub.com/forum (I haven't tweaked the design at all at this point). Everyone will have to reset their passwords. vBulletin should be sending an email with information on how to do that. Do NOT reset your password now because, although everyone is set up on this forum (for testing), everyone will be deleted come Friday when I do a fresh install and you'll have to reset your password again.

The new board will go live when I know I have forum permissions correct. I will prolly be tweaking design for a while after opening the board to new posts. I also noticed during my test transfer that the bbcode doesn't seem to be the same so I'll prolly have some post editing to fix (like making sure videos show up, for example).

Things that are not going to transfer over automatically (other than passwords):
    1) Avatars (unless I can fix this which it's not looking good)
    2) Current collection list
    3) FB profile link (#2 and #3 are because those are custom fields I created in this forum)

THESE ARE THINGS I CAN ADD TO YOUR PROFILE MANUALLY IF YOU JUST ASK.

Everything else should transfer, so that includes your location, birthday, PMs, posts, etc.........

The new site is coming along great! I'm really excited for it!

I think I'm also going to be re-arranging and, probably, adding new forums, too. I haven't found a set-up on the forums I like, yet.

If anyone has any last minute suggestions please let me know..... otherwise I'll just have to get your suggestions later, ha! Always time for suggestions.

Okay, don't forget this site is going down this evening. I think most everyone who is going to the field trip tomorrow has my contact info........ PM ASAP, though, if you think you'll need another way (than the forums) to get a hold of me.

*last*

Okay, sorry, I'm going to ruin it, but that made me chuckle, Greg. Give it a couple more hours... gotta do din din w/ the Gramps.

Administrator Mile High Bug Club's Avatar

Testing testing..... quick reply works?

Administrator Mile High Bug Club's Avatar

And regular reply works? Smilies are broooooooken!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast