Thread: Better Safe Than Sorry

Better Safe Than Sorry

I believe that most of this is common sense and many of you here have probably read up on this. I think it's a good idea to share this information once in a while just to touch base with new people in the hobby or maybe just to remind us that our loving pets are wonderful but still dangerous. Sometimes I am guilty of not being as safe as possible while handling my reptiles and I too need to be reminded that constant respect for what they are and what they can do to you is needed.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPA.../1239264199921

Re: Better Safe Than Sorry

Greg... don't be kissing your snakes, now, you hear? No, really, thanks for sharing this. It gives me a question... when I went to the RMRE (and I've even seen this at, like, the Gator Farm) there was always antibacterial lotion around for rubbing on your hands after handling the animals, but this information does not mention anti-bac lotions. Are anti-bac lotions pretty much useless, then? I've read some stories about all the bad anti-bac does (like, uh, it's making the bacteria change/evolve into other, tougher strains..?)

Does anyone use anti-bac at their homes in their herp areas? I actually have always kept a bottle by my gecko's cage.

Most of us have the soap because of the other animals, not wanting to get our animals contaminated. If a kidis going to get salmonella from putting their hands in their mouth then it will likely happen without a vendors help. Besides,if someone did get sick they wouldn't know until the show is over and it would be impossible to pin down the culprit.
    Plus we teach safe handling practice, this helps the overall appearance of the hobby, which is constantly under attack.

I have a big sanitizer bottle next to ours. I make my daughter use it before and after along with washing her hands after.