Thread: Best feeder for arboreal pets?

Best feeder for arboreal pets?

I'm ALMOST tempted into getting crickets... Since they're just everywhere... But after my last experience with them... I'd like to pass... I love roaches but they hide so much, and if my whip spider doesn't take notice so quickly, I'm sure I'd just have a roach for a pet as well... Any of you have any ideas? Since I'm positive some of you have an arboreal critter, most likely an arboreal tarantula or something.

Re: Best feeder for arboreal pets?

What kind of have you tried? B dubias, while more nutritious than crickets and generally great feeders if spiders know what to do with them, do not elicit any sort of feeding response since they're so skittish and stop moving whenever they get scared. Something like a Turkistan/Red Runner (Blatta lateralis), though, is a great feeder roach because they're so active. There are also climbing cockroaches like lobster roaches.... rumors have it, though, that these guys can even infest in CO if they escape. I'm not so sure about that as they are tropical but.... I really don't want to find out.

I feed crickets to my spiders, though, as it's been a while since I've had a collection large enough to need my own cockroach breeding colony.

I use Dubias for all my Ts and none of them have a problem. I usually drop the roach right in front of theem or use a long set of tongs and hand feed them. I know that's kind of risky especially with my P minirus because I have heard stories of them teleporting up the tongs and biting the tong holder. But so far I have not had a problem. I am currently feeding 53 Tarantulas and none of them refuse the roaches.

Hope that helps.

Back in the day I fed my H lividum her first dubia... It was a big female (the dubia... and the lividum, I guess, haha) it ran underneath her and then froze. She, I guess, never noticed it. It didn't move and stayed underneath her. It was still there the next day and she had webbed it to the bottom of her enclosure. She was still on top of it so I didn't clean it out (she was in this, like, foot-long black, plastic vase I set up for her to hide in because she wasn't much of a burrower). The next day she finally moved out of the vase and I was able to clean the roach out. I figured it died or she eventually bit/envenomated it but just didn't eat it (maybe getting ready to molt?) But, no, it was still alive. When I cleaned the webbing off it it and went to pick it up with my tongs it freaked out and tried to escape.

So it ran underneath her and stayed there for three days until I rescued it.

miller moths

they are the bane of my existence (not b/c i hate them, but the wife on the other hand...) come summertime in CO.

my T's love the huge moths (forget the exact name at the moment).

LOL! The rat I used to have LOVED moths...... and my cats go CRAZY for them, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    LOL! The rat I used to have LOVED moths...... and my cats go CRAZY for them, now.
    haha, cats & moths

mine do to my boyfriend calls kit the moth muncher

My cat goes absolutely mental when a moth is in the house...she will knock down anything and anyone in her path. I will have to flip video her sometime.

I have a slim, flat panel TV and my male cat can/will actually jump up on it to try to get moths. I'm waiting for him to do it one day and slice the screen with his gigantic claws.

(Sorry Dakota, kinda highjacking your thread.)

You guys should get those sports cameras that you can wear and put them on your cats for some serious hunting views....lol

You know, they actually make "cat cameras." Like, they can wear them as collars! I've always wanted to try one but 1) My cats are boring, other than during moth season and 2) They're like, $60!

You know, they actually make "cat cameras." Like, they can wear them as collars! I've always wanted to try one but 1) My cats are boring, other than during moth season and 2) They're like, $60!
    thats crazy my cats would chew a cat camera to death idk of anyone who spends that much on a "cat toy"

Is it like
    "kitten mittens" ?