Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Emporer scorpions

Thread: Emporer scorpions

Emporer scorpions

i love watching mine when they come out of their hides at night i have never actually touched them don't know if i ever will those stingers look awfully unpleasant (i picked them up out of their travel container with a spatula when i got them lol) but they're super cute i love watching them eat erica was right the way scorpions eat is like the coolest thing ever i named them Enkil and Akasha (because i read too much anne rice) and i'm already in love with scorpion keeping

Re: Emporer scorpions

W/ P imps it's more the claws you need to watch out for. It'll hurt like heck if one of them get a hold of a finger or something. That said the ONLY problem I've ever had handling a P imp (which, admittedly is a big problem) is the first time I held one I didn't realize it couldn't cling to my hand as well as a tarantula can (they don't have the same "claws") and it fell (it was fine, it didn't fall far and it fell on carpet). While I don't recommend handling your scorps, especially if you're wary of them to begin with, you don't really need to go as far as moving them around with kitchen utensils. But, of course, stay within the limits of whatever you're comfortable with. I'd be lying if I said my first tarantula never ended up in a serving spoon:

haha yeah i typically have pushed them out of the way to clean etc with my finger since the spatula incident but they were so foreign i was like wow this thing has a huge stinger that would hurt Yeah i've read that they'll just walk off your hand and go splat so if i do handle i'll keep that in mind no splatting scorpions for me!

Emps don't really use their stinger. But knave heard that they can break pencils with their claws. I handled my old emp when I had it, and it wasn't too bad. Just remember what Bell said, they can't hang on like Ts.

Has anyone ever seen one do it though? I have heard and read this over and over but never actually seen one do it. I tried it and the way it was going I figured I wold have better chance seeing the little guy pick up the pencil and write his name than breaking it with his claw.

Why is it always the pencil analogy?

Why does everyone always say it was a #2 pencil (well almost everyone) like would you try to use a #1 or a #3?

Just sayin

LOL, Greg!

Yeah, I've only ever read it online; but that doesn't stop me from repeating (with the disclaimer I've only ever read it). I wonder if I can find a video of it or something..?

Gosh. I love when I Google stuff for threads on this forum and the thread I'm Googling for comes up in the first page of my results. Uh.... so I'm prolly not going to find what I'm looking for, lol.

lol same thing happend to me as well. In all seriousness I ask the question not to be a smart allec (because everyone KNOWS that's not me) but you know how urban legends go around and they ALL have the same components to the story no matter who is telling them....I'm sure you get the picture. I am just a skeptic at heart! Video/Screenshot or it didn't happen!

Search engine optimization at its finest!

I wonder if it stems from, like, a scientific study of their claw strength? Maybe a scientist was all like, "That amount of force could break a pencil." Or if it's just, yeah, an urban myth started by someone trying to make it sound like their "scary" pet is even scarier and, "If it can break a pencil..... it can break your pinky!"

..........Do the Mythbusters still accept myths? Maybe they can test this one some how, haha!

I would imagine if it were a scientifc study that it would have been stated somewhere what the psi was for a Scorp claw and would they all be the same or are some more macho than others? Maybe we could find a machine to measure claw force and try that at a meeting...that would be kind of cool. We could do a youtube fact or faked webisode!

i had heard they can break pencils too only i heard in on AB and mine don't even seem very pinch happy it does sound a little far fetched to me but i'm not volunteering to stick fingers in claws regardless lol

all i could find on AB:
    http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=409371

doesn't mean i'm done yet (well, for today i am )

Haha, thanks, Brian!

Good luck ever getting an emp angry enough to do it
    Okay, okay... what about a red claw? They are basically emps w/ attitudes? hahaha.....

don't red claws also have worse venom and are more likely to sting? thats what i heard but havent done extensive research since i think i'm sticking with emps for a while at least i love that in certain lighting emps look kinda dark bluish kinda makes me want to get s black light just to take a picture of my scorpions looking neon