Thread: White little bugs

White little bugs

So there are little white bugs in two of my humid T containers. They do not seem to be on the T's but they are crawling around the inside and outside of the enclosure. They are super small and I can not get a good picture of them. So the question is how do I know if these are mites or just something that comes with humidity that is not bad for my T?

Re: White little bugs

If they're white and, like, round looking they are mites. If they're fast moving they are most likely not the mites that will hurt your Ts. Bad mites (aka grain mites, I believe) are also white but they tend to chill in one place... usually on, like, boluses or dead crickets or something... they sit and eat and engorge themselves and get pretty big. I've seen them eat a sling before (not my own)... they crawl near the sling's mouth and eyes and suck their juices out. Pretty horrible thing to see.... especially on a T gigas. :( But, yeah, very small, white and fast moving mites are pretty common in high humidity enclosures.

Another creature very common in high humidity enclosures are springtails. Those are small, long and whitish/greyish looking... they also jump. They are most common around water dishes.

Bad mites are also commonly found on 'pedes, unfortunately. They can also be found on scorpions, around the leg joints.

Edit.... and I don't know if invert mites are the same as snake mites...? I think I asked this before and I can't remember the answer, haha.

I do know that snake mites are different and they are mother effers! I have had my share of problems with those. These are not spring tails they are not jumping at all. They are rather fast and they do not stay in one spot and they seem to leave my T's alone.

Yeah, if they were "bad" mites they eventually would stop moving around and would be clinging to decaying matter or your ts... so you'd see some in clumps.

for your humid Ts I would suggest using a vermiculite blend to keep from molding and attracting mites
    im not here to pick sides, i dont deal with emotions i deal with facts, dont cry to me because im right
    "stonedsage"

That's what is in there...I guess I could mess with the amounts but do I really need to if they are not hurting the T?

I would say, "No." Removing the spider, changing it's habitat around, etc... will stress it out.