Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Boggles my mind- peach throat monitor.

Thread: Boggles my mind- peach throat monitor.

Boggles my mind- peach throat monitor.

So I'm very avid about inquiring about monitors I find on craigslist, due to the fact I keep a few of these guys and absolutely love them. I've had several friends start getting into monitors and I found this cute little peach throat listed in Denver, the blurry picture showed a decent health monitor, so I set up a time to come by and look at him. So a few days ago, I'm told "he's missing some toes, and has a scar on his mouth". Ok sometimes things happen sure no big deal.

I arrive today to find monitor who's missing several toes, tip of his tail, and his mouth is rubbed super raw, still bleeding. He's kept in a poor enclosure with bad substrate and the owner clearly had no idea what he was doing. Now, all the problems with this animal could have been fixed with one simple thing: humidity, the same thing the owner admitted was poor. So I wonder, after all these years in Colorado, knowing the air here is dry, WHY DO PEOPLE USE SCREEN TOPS? Why not simply cover the screen is it such a massive stretch of the mind to figure this out? I can't even count the numbers of animals I've found in screen top enclosures dry as hell, when all you need to do is cover it... Just over an hour in his temporary setup and he's already more active, touchable, eating, and looking better, all thanks to 85% humidity.

Here's some pictures, he's actually very cute...

I went with a small aquarium, so I could keep his temps/humidity constant while he heals up. Normally I'd allow the animal to have a varied temp gradient, however from what I've seen they heal faster when at high humid/temps...

Side view showing some of the mouth damage, already looking a bit better..

-Mike

Re: Boggles my mind- peach throat monitor.

That is seriously the cutest monitor I've ever seen, haha. Poor thing. I hope it heals up quickly.

Screen lids are just so available, though. That's, like, all I've ever seen at the LPS. I cover my screen lids (usually partially) if I have a tarantula that needs higher humidity. It does make sense to do that, haha.... Also, getting a good, shoot I'm drawing a blank on the name, humidity gauge helps, too.

I dunno, maybe people expect animals to, like, adapt to CO dryness. :roll:

poor thing yeah i saw that monitor too would have probably got him had i been able to have some extra cash that's not set aside right now but I'm glad he's out of a bad situation. I use screen lids but i'm also home all the time so i can mist 2-3x a day so that the humidity doesn't go down that and good substrate helps too, i agree it's a shame to see such an easy fix cause so many issues hope he heals up nicely for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita
    poor thing yeah i saw that monitor too would have probably got him had i been able to have some extra cash that's not set aside right now but I'm glad he's out of a bad situation. I use screen lids but i'm also home all the time so i can mist 2-3x a day so that the humidity doesn't go down that and good substrate helps too, i agree it's a shame to see such an easy fix cause so many issues hope he heals up nicely for you.
    I got there and saw his condition and offered the guy $40, thankfully he admitted the animal was in awful condition and gave him to me at that. As for using screen lids, I use fully enclosed enclosures and moisture still manages to seep out, I mist 8-16oz 3-4 times per day..

How's the timor coming along? Any pics?

That is seriously the cutest monitor I've ever seen, haha. Poor thing. I hope it heals up quickly.

Screen lids are just so available, though. That's, like, all I've ever seen at the LPS. I cover my screen lids (usually partially) if I have a tarantula that needs higher humidity. It does make sense to do that, haha.... Also, getting a good, shoot I'm drawing a blank on the name, humidity gauge helps, too.

He's pretty adorable, except the part where he loves to defecate all over you when you pick him up. Screen lids are complete cancer, I have one on the tank shown, but its 100% covered and taped on all edges with saran wrap, now to balance the humidity after some of its taken into the dirt, which is the hard balancing part...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolita
    I got there and saw his condition and offered the guy $40, thankfully he admitted the animal was in awful condition and gave him to me at that. As for using screen lids, I use fully enclosed enclosures and moisture still manages to seep out, I mist 8-16oz 3-4 times per day..

How's the timor coming along? Any pics?

He's pretty adorable, except the part where he loves to defecate all over you when you pick him up. Screen lids are complete cancer, I have one on the tank shown, but its 100% covered and taped on all edges with saran wrap, now to balance the humidity after some of its taken into the dirt, which is the hard balancing part...
    Yeah i eventually want to get all of my tanks fully enclosed type deals for everybody i just gotta get the material money together to do it at least the guy took a lower price for it it sounds like he was trying to scam someone unsuspecting on there. I can only imagine the condition of the frilled lizard shame it's musking you but who knows it might stop after a while i had a kingsnake a while back that musked constantly when i first got it but it stopped after it figured out i wasn't going to eat it and more often than not was just putting it into another tank for cleaning or feeding ect. timor is doing good finally got him eating more varied diet though he's still quite stubborn about the rodents and i have to make them bloody and split their skulls sometimes just to get his attention but he's doing good just went through his first shed in my care and his scarring seems to be healing up from his original owners

Yeah i eventually want to get all of my tanks fully enclosed type deals for everybody i just gotta get the material money together to do it at least the guy took a lower price for it it sounds like he was trying to scam someone unsuspecting on there. I can only imagine the condition of the frilled lizard shame it's musking you but who knows it might stop after a while i had a kingsnake a while back that musked constantly when i first got it but it stopped after it figured out i wasn't going to eat it and more often than not was just putting it into another tank for cleaning or feeding ect. timor is doing good finally got him eating more varied diet though he's still quite stubborn about the rodents and i have to make them bloody and split their skulls sometimes just to get his attention but he's doing good just went through his first shed in my care and his scarring seems to be healing up from his original owners.
    From what I've been experiencing, most people wanting snakes do not want setups with the animal, just the snake. However, with lizards, everyone always wants a full setup. Lizard setups aren't cheap, so they expect some sort of super bargain on the setup, with a semi-disposable pet. It's extremely stupid, but the market is actually pretty solid in terms of locally.
    He wasn't trying to really scam, he admitted before I got there it had flaws, and he was happy it was going to someone with somewhat of an idea what exactly they where doing, the frilled lizard was already gone when I got there, however, frilleds do much better here in Colorado and wasn't as worn down because of humidity as the peach throat is.

Monitors shitting on predators is very normal, it's just a defense he'll get over it and move on. Crappy video is up of my peachthroat, taken from my phone, messing around with varying cameras and whatnot to try and start my youtube channel up... Also any updated pics on timor/cage would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpNMEWSu ... tube_gdata

yeah i know i've been musked by many montiors over the years especially in florida when i was a kid my parents rescued a nile that was the biggest musker ever. I've noticed the same thing though people who buy lizards want setups but it's not the case with people who buy snakes for the most part anyway. And as i said at this time i don't really have time to take pictures of setups cause i wanna do that in a series eventually too right now i'm working on my reptiles and inverts and i'll probably have my friend with a professional camera come out sometime next week to take pictures of my stuff especially my tarantulas with her macro lense