So I'm very avid about inquiring about monitors I find on craigslist, due to the fact I keep a few of these guys and absolutely love them. I've had several friends start getting into monitors and I found this cute little peach throat listed in Denver, the blurry picture showed a decent health monitor, so I set up a time to come by and look at him. So a few days ago, I'm told "he's missing some toes, and has a scar on his mouth". Ok sometimes things happen sure no big deal.

I arrive today to find monitor who's missing several toes, tip of his tail, and his mouth is rubbed super raw, still bleeding. He's kept in a poor enclosure with bad substrate and the owner clearly had no idea what he was doing. Now, all the problems with this animal could have been fixed with one simple thing: humidity, the same thing the owner admitted was poor. So I wonder, after all these years in Colorado, knowing the air here is dry, WHY DO PEOPLE USE SCREEN TOPS? Why not simply cover the screen is it such a massive stretch of the mind to figure this out? I can't even count the numbers of animals I've found in screen top enclosures dry as hell, when all you need to do is cover it... Just over an hour in his temporary setup and he's already more active, touchable, eating, and looking better, all thanks to 85% humidity.

Here's some pictures, he's actually very cute...

I went with a small aquarium, so I could keep his temps/humidity constant while he heals up. Normally I'd allow the animal to have a varied temp gradient, however from what I've seen they heal faster when at high humid/temps...

Side view showing some of the mouth damage, already looking a bit better..

-Mike