Thread: Fattail info?

Fattail info?

So I'm contemplating getting some. I'd imagine them to be the hottest thing I'll own.
    Are they simple to care for? What would need to know beyond basic care?
    I'm very glad I don't ever have to buy shoes for my pets.
    They got too many legs...

Re: Fattail info?

I was not sure what you meant by fattails at first (andros, parabuthus, etc.) but after coming across this http://www.milehighbugclub.com/scorp...tes-t1182.html, I think you might mean B jax.

I am currently keeping 6 of them. They are pretty simple to care for. I keep mine in small enclosures, with coco fiber as substrate, a piece of bark for them to hang out on/under, and give a good misting to one side of the enclosure when it starts drying out (so one half is pretty moist,(not emperor moist) and the other half is dryer). They have been doing good. I am going to setup a communal once they mature. (I have 3 4i and 3 3i).

The B jax are my favorite scorp I keep/have kept. They are great eaters, they are pretty hardy (humidity is important when they are younger, but they get to be pretty hardy, as long as you don't forget to mist them every few days). I love the patterns/colors of them (the pattern changes from when they are young to when they mature.) There are 2 morphs I know of: chocolate and orange/red. The orange/red is the more common, but I know tarantulas inc had some chocolates a while back if you want to trust them.

I can search in a bit and try to find some caresheets for you. I know AB has some and there is a SOTM article or two on B Jax at the venom list.

I guess I'm a bit confused myself. I'm not too familiar with scorpions, so I was using Fat/Thicktail as a generalization to include most of the hotter scorpions, as I've seen several different common names online. (I now start to understand why people hate common identifiers)

I've come across B. Jacksoni, and P. Traans-whatevertheheck babies for what I imagine to be fairly reasonable prices: $19.99 and $29.99 respectively.
    Also found a few different species I though were cool. An Egyptian Green, and Israeli Gold. I didn't see any scientific names to go with them. Are they pretty comparable to the B. Jacksoni as far as heat and care?

I've been leaning toward a few Jacksoni babies, they're brick red and about an inch. Are they communal?

Still thinking about a Deathstalker, but I've been told they're overrated.

Ah, Androctonus is the Fattail. Saw some Australis, and Bicolor. They look really cool! Little pricey for me, though.
    Would they be worth twice what a B. Jacksoni is?

They are more rare than the jacksoni and I would spend the money on some andros if I could. I have always wanted A. Maurtinecus (sp?). I am not ready for something that hot right now though. The prices seem decent, I think I got my jacksoni for about 10 a piece, but I waited a while to get a deal. I haven't looked to hard into parabuthus but also wouldn't mind getting some.

"fattails" can be ANYTHING (commonly androctonus, parabuthus, babycurus, among so many others). they are usually fairly hot.

androctonus are by far the coolest looking scorpions, big massive tails. parabuthus were the most fun scorpions i ever had (transvaalicus specifically).

care is super simple. they prefer more of scrapes than burrows seems like, so any sort of substrate is cool, coco or i use sand (sometimes a mix). just provide some things for them to hide and burrow under. keep the cage warm too.

suggestions for you:
    -don't get a deathstalker (seem to be fairly lazy and boring IME)
    -GET a P. trans (they are incredibly spastic and will actively chase prey across their cage)
    -GET an andro. expensive, but they are so cool and good looking

I think I'll start with the P. Trans.
    I'd like to see how that goes before I spend serious cash on a few Andros. I'm sure one won't be enough.

I'll stay away from the Deathstalkers. Boring is not what I'm after.

I'm still thinking a B. Jacksoni would be nice, however. I really dig the color. Do they stay red through adulthood?
    Between this and a P. Trans, which would be more rewarding?

which would be more rewarding? hah, easiest question i've had all day: P trans.

IMHO

Okey doke. P. Trans it is!

I'm guessing these are NOT communal, I'll start with one.
    I'll be sure and get some pictures up when I get it.

Also, read somewhere that these are called "spitting scorpions." I'm no dummy, but scorpions can't exactly spit, right?
    I'm taking this to mean they probably fling venom from their stinger in drops. Possibly from a puddle they make on their back. (I've seen spiders do similar actions.) Or it could be sprayed, I'm really not sure. But no spitting?

you are correct sir. they are one of only a very small handful of species able to actually squirt venom from the telson.

you probably won't experience this though unless you REALLY piss it off. hardly anyone goes that far

one of a couple videos of spraying venom:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzTvbpmwcXw

They can spray venom... I've read the range is up to a meter. Watch your eyes, yo!

Aha! Now I REALLY want one.
    Like a miniature spitting cobra. But with legs. And pinchers. Plus a stinger.

You had mentioned there are a few other species that can spray venom, are they all Parabuthus?

Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    Watch your eyes, yo!
    I have an old pair of ski goggles I use to cut onions. I think I'll look a bit goofy, but I'll be safe!

you will be safe unless you really provoke it.

and you'll have to research to see exactly which as the names elude me at the moment. maybe P liosoma?

Quote Originally Posted by widowman10
    you will be safe unless you really provoke it.
    I'm sure that'll happen at least once. I'm super curious!