Thread: More great publicity for our hobby

More great publicity for our hobby

Re: More great publicity for our hobby

Okay, I'm not a snake person so.... I don't know, but why would it latch on to her throat? I mean, when a tarantula bites someone it's usually because they did something to make it bite (whether they intended to or not). What would cause a snake that size to do that?

She was taking it out to feed it and there are a number of things that can go wrong. First off when feeding giant snakes you have to be sure your snake knows what is the meaning of you poking your hands/head into it's enclosure. If you feed it inside it's enclosure you need to make sure that when it's feeding time that you use large tongs and get the job done.

When you are not feeding (TLC time) you need to make sure that you let the thing know you are there to give it hugs that way it doesn't give you hugs. You can do this by tapping it on the backside or just making it aware that you are there for love not for food.

My guess is she reached in and her neck was exposed as she bent over to pick it up and her neck was just an easy target. in addition the heat pattern is probably pretty high around the head and that could have also attracted him towards her neck.

This is why EVERY care sheet I have EVER seen says that you should have experience while dealing with the "giants", it's not because it's some secret club or only a snake for the elite. It's because if you do not know what you are doing then things can go bad.

Truth be told it's not that Retics are being bred friendlier or more house broken and cheery ....it's because over time people have gained a knowledge of how to keep them and handle them by trial and error.

When I read stuff like this it makes me think, like.... Why doesn't USARK go after hobbyists more than it does dealers and/or the government? There wouldn't be as many potential bans and laws if the hobbyists knew what they were doing, had support, resources, etc.... We're the ones that are releasing snakes into the wilds of FL. We're the ones getting bitten by our venomous snakes. We're the ones that are apparently, and possibly unknowingly, spreading diseases, fungi, etc... (dealers are aiding in that last one quite a bit) We're the ones making ourselves look bad and attracting the government's (local or fed) attention.

Like, there really needs to be more of a community and more communication between hobbyists. And we hobbyists need to be more vocal when we see something "off" be it pet store care, what pet stores are selling, who they're selling to, how we're taking care of our animals, etc....

If she had someone there to help her feed would that have happened? Even if the snake did still bite at least the authorities wouldn't have to get involved because the other hobbyist would be there to help. Of course she would prolly still have to have gone to the hospital...... But, like, not everyone knows everything there is to know about our exotic pets.... and what's the saying, "Two heads are better than one?" Sure, that may not always be the case but if she had a support group or could watch snake care through other people she may have known not to do that.

Edit: There are people getting involved in this hobby that just don't know what the heck but they're doing it for their own reasons. I was in MO one year, sitting in a tattoo parlor chatting it up with some patrons while I waited to get a tatt. We got on the topic of this club and exotic pets and the girl I was chatting with said, "I had a friend who bought a caiman from a local pet store. He didn't want it anymore so he gave it to me. I didn't want it any more so I released it in a local lake. It's probably dead now. HAHAHA." 1) Why did that pet store have a caiman? 2) Why did it sell it to someone who couldn't take care of it? 3) Why was this girl's ONLY option to release it into a lake?!?! Like, where are the ACTUAL hobbyists in this story to take control of our hobby??