Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Found another false widow in my house

Thread: Found another false widow in my house

Found another false widow in my house

This makes three I found another one just cruising around on the carpet. Should I be concerned of a possible infestation in my home?

Can you help identify this one ....please.

Re: Found another false widow in my house

i wouldn't worry about an "infestation" or anything.

can you get a couple more / better pictures before i make my guess?

That actually doesn't look like a false widow to me. I don't know WHAT it looks like but I've never seen one with that kind of striping on the legs or abdomen. Other angles would help........Brian decipher what it is, hahaha.

As far as an infestation, well, false widows (most if not all house spiders, actually) are beneficial to have around because they eat pests... flies, gnats, mosquitoes, etc... They really don't pose any danger to humans.... as far as I know. If it was something like a black widow, yellow sac, brown recluse, etc... infestation I would be worried about that (especially since you have a child there). The last two spiders I'm not so sure are even in our area, though.

Might have to zoom a bit

I take back what I said........ I could imagine it may be a false widow but I have no clue.

Edit: Have you ever been to BugGuide, Greg? It's a pretty great site for insect/arachnid identification. Here are some Steatoda pics. I was looking through to see if I could identify your specimen and now I'm grossed out, hahaha....

It actually gave me a question, though, that Brian will prolly have to answer......... the term "False Widow"... does that ONLY apply to S grossa?

Could it be another triangulosa?

Pic from BugGuide:

looks like a steatoda.

and no bell, i don't think false widow just applies to grossa, i've seen it applied to several other species in the genus! hespera, borealis, triangulosa, etc.

That first pic Greg posted sorta looked, like, grass-spiderish, haha... don't know how to describe that one. But, yeah... I prolly shouldn't try to identify true spiders considering they give me the heebie jeebies, lol....

The reason I ask about the S grossa is on BugGuide in their Steatoda pic section it's not until that species that they introduce the common name of "False Black Widow." Knowing how little I know about true spiders I thought maybe I've been using it wrong all this time.

At least I'm trying to learn!