Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Free spirit farm Reptile/invert sanctuary Reviews

Thread: Free spirit farm Reptile/invert sanctuary Reviews

Free spirit farm Reptile/invert sanctuary Reviews

So as many of you know i've been rescuing reptiles and inverts for a while now, well i decided to give it a name and make it more official also when i finish school i'll be applying for a 501c3 rescue license. Until then i am a private non licensed sanctuary working to help unwanted reptiles and inverts find a happy and healthy forever home either in our personal collection as our pets or via a adoption contract which states if the person ever mistreats their animal i have the right to take it back or if they ever rehome it they must offer it back to me first. All animals are rehomed with care sheets either written by myself or ones that i've found to have sound advice on the internet they are sent to new homes with as much info as i can gather on them and their histories and are quarantined until they are proven healthy before being allowed to be adopted out. We're just starting out but our heart is in the right place and we just want to help the animals.

our facebook page is http://facebook.com/FSFSreptiles

and our website which is still a work in progress is http://freespiritfarmsanctuary.webs.com/

Re: Free spirit farm Reptile/invert sanctuary

Love it!!!
    Let us know if there is any way we can help! Being located in the North/West Metro area we can take in reptiles/inverts that cant make it down to you in the springs area. Its great seeing someone knowledgeable take the initiative to help out abused/sick/unwanted animals. We obviously specialize in tarantulas but are learning a lot about reptiles quick and more than willing to help anything in need, even if it requires transporting them down to you.
    [color=#006000][b]--ExotiPet--
    BUY - SELL - TRADE
    Visit Our YouTube -- Visit Our Facebook -- SEE OUR REVIEWS

Re: Free Spirit Farm Sanctuary Reviews

This is a warning about Leah Mclaughlin who runs the Free spirit farm sanctuary out of Calhan, CO.

This is going to be long but I want to be as thorough as possible in my examples. tl;dr: She has presented herself to me as a liar. Whether she is “outright lying” or not, she is lying, period. Because she can’t seem to tell when she’s being honest or not I wanted to give warning that she can not and probably should not be trusted.

The following are just two examples of her deceit and an idea of what is in store for you if you choose to do business with her.

The Avicularia versicolor incident:
    Back Story: In June 2009 I went to the MO Bug Hunt IV and while there a member of the bug hunt gave me an A versicolor he captive bred/raised to take home. Now, anyone who knows me knows Avics are my least favorite tarantula genus. That does not mean I have never owned Avics. That also does not mean that if I have an Avic in my care that I will not love it and take care of it. They are kind-of like cats to me in that while I’m not a “cat person” and I, personally, wouldn’t go out of my way to own a cat, I do own two cats and I love them very much (my husband is a total cat person and, generally speaking, we got the cats for him).

In Sept 2010 I decided I needed to further thin out my collection as to not get to the point where I had too many animals and too little time. I posted on the forums that I was giving the versi for free to a new home. Leah was very new to the club at the point. While she was not keeping tarantulas, she used to keep tarantulas and had expressed interest in getting back in to tarantulas. After she wrote, "a friend of mine suggested a versicolor they're very pretty but i imagine they're kind of expensive i'll probably hold off for a while do more research in finding whats right for me and save up more $ for one," I posted that, "I've actually got one that I suspect is a male that I'm giving away." and she agreed she’d take him.

I, in NO way, gave that versicolor to Leah as an “unwanted animal for her rescue to take him.” I was trying to be nice and give a new member a great pet.

Jump ahead to yesterday I see this on her sanctuary’s Facebook page under the “Success stories” album:

(click for big)

That is the versicolor I gave Leah. Two issues 1) Again, I did not give that versi to the sanctuary. I gave it to LEAH to keep as a pet. I honestly didn’t even know she considered herself a “rescue” at that point. I had already had that spider for over a year at the point I gave it to Leah. Had she not come along to be given that spider as pet I would have a) kept it or b) given it to another club member NOT a “rescue.” It can't be a "Success Story" if she didn't rescue it. 2) She did NOT “[adopt her] out to some friends of [hers].” She TRADED it to the Exotipet folks for four other spiders.

The Aphonopelma seemani incident:
    Back Story: I had an A seemani I received from a club member who rescued her from someone who obviously wasn’t caring for her. One day over Facebook I was chatting with Leah about the A seemani and made it clear I did not think the spider would be a good match for her. To me, A seemanis have pretty decent attitudes and if you’re not comfortable with a spider with attitude and/or your mom, who you live with, is not comfortable with a spider with attitude being in her home, I sure as heck am not going to say, “Hey, take this spider!”

Leah had a friend named Larry, though, that was interested in the spider. So we agreed that I would give him the spider but instead of me meeting up with him, Leah’s dad would take the spider from me and they would pass it on to him. They did. This was in early January. Fast forward to March 19 and I get this message from Leah on FB:
    “hey so i talked to larry. i looked at the A seemani though and she's not looking good idk what he's doing to her thats making her like that but she's basically crumpled up in a hide and it looks like she might be going into a death curl”

Now, this makes me very sad. But, here’s the thing… and I won’t go into detail about it, but Larry, who SHE referred me to as someone who takes very good care of their animals, scares the life out of me. After meeting him once I decided I didn’t want to have anything to do with him, out of my own safety. She was in communication with Larry and knowing that she’s such a bleeding heart for animals I thought she’d help me get the spider back from him, ESPECIALLY since her dad had to go “rescue” some animals from him anyway. Nope, she tells me, “you might [take her back] but that's between you and him my dad is picking up my geckos tomorrow after work (personally if i were you i'd take back the red rump and the OK brown too.” So, and this reflects badly on me, I know, I left it alone. I was not going to contact Larry, period. Out of self-preservation I left the spider with Larry to die. Hate on me all you want for that, I deserve it.

Jump to yesterday, again, and I see this on her sanctuary’s FB page:

(click for big)

There it is. My A seemani. Heck, that’s even a photo I took of it when it was still in my care!

So yesterday evening I confronted her about the above issues:

Okay, about the A seemani.... Leah went on to say, "the seemani has been taken from larry since we last talked and given to my friend shawn so technically i did rescue it from larry" Hearing this I was upset that the spider didn't go back to me so I say, "And why would you take the A seemani and not give it back to me?? The ONLY reason I didn't go get it myself is because Larry WHO YOU REFERRED ME TO scares the [expletive] out of me and you weren't willing to help me get her back. You preach wanting to be kept updated on all your adopted animals. You don't think I'd like to know where she ended up?? Why am I just now hearing this? I figured she died." To which Leah responded, "The initial email i was going to send was on FB but you deactivated your account and from the last i heard you posted on facebook that you were stressed and was needing some time away i was respectfully trying to give you your space. I never went to go pickup the tarantula thats why i never gave it back he told me he was getting bored of her and wanted to give her to our mutual friend shawn i knew shawn kept good care of his pets i told him you might want her back but larry said "but i don't wanna waste my time meeting up with her again" so the last i heard he gave her to shawn who i believe just moved back to california to reconcile with his ex wife but we don't really talk much anymore and thats the last i talked to larry i just didn't want to intrude into your space to tell you the story." My issues with that response are: 1) I temporarily deactivated my FB, yes. I, however, never said it was because I "was stressed out." I deactivated it because I was very busy with trying to purchase a house and didn't have time to waste on FB at that moment. Facebook stressing me out = lie. 2) While I was not on FB I have NEVER stopped posting HERE. She could have VERY EASILY gotten a hold of me. Oh! Oh! And she has my number! 3) If Leah never went to pick up the tarantula and Larry decided, on his own, to give it to their mutual friend Shawn, how does that equate to "technically i did rescue it from larry." It doesn't. It equates to a lie.

Okay, about the A versicolor... Leah went on to say, "versi i never claimed was in a bad situation etc my rescue takes in animals that are no longer wanted etc as well as poorly cared for so it wasn't anything bad against you." She also stated, "but i'm not a liar and i don't twist things i don't even see where thats coming from yes i've had a few hiccups along the way but i've never purposely twisted a story or out right lied to anyone i'm sorry you feel that way." I had to repeat myself again, "See but that's the thing! I GAVE THE VERSI TO YOU, NOT YOUR RESCUE. If anything that picture should have 1) not be listed at all since you don't own the animal anymore or 2) been under your "personal collection album". This rescue didn't even EXIST then and it if did you didn't tell me, "Oh well, Bell, I take in unwanted animals, I can take that versi." I had an extra spider that makes a great beginner tarantula. You were wanting to get back into spiders. I WAS TRYING TO BE NICE. I WOULD HAVE KEPT IT OTHERWISE. I would have given it to someone who actually WANTED it and wasn't going to trade it off a couple months down the road! I had it for a year and a half already! It wasn't like I was trying all that hard to get it to a new home! ... If you never lie why do you state the versicolor was "adopted to friends" when you traded it to Exotipet for slings? Adoption does not equal trading. ....but, see, you say you never "outright lie" and that's a twist in-and-of-itself. You can ALWAYS play it off like, "Oh, shucks, I didn't know!! tee hee" And you do!" Her response? "theres a lot of things i don't realise until it seems to be too late i could blame it on my learning disorders but i wont i'll blame it on the fact that i [expletive] up sometimes and i'm not good socially all i can do is apologize and try to do better." 1) Okay, let's be clear that I'm not trying to dog on someone with a learning disability (I have Dyscalculia... which is AWESOME because I work in finances! I have to quadruple check my work (and still screw up sometimes)). I'm trying to look past this excuse as a cop-out (read: another lie) and am just trying to think this out. I'm not aware of a learning disorder that would cause someone to post here that they "traded" a spider and then go to another website and post that they "adopted" the spider out, instead. She used "traded" in the correct context so she knows what it means. Maybe she doesn't know what "adopted" means? In that case running a sanctuary that "adopts" animals out is prolly not a good idea. And 2) If someone has had "a few hiccups along the way" (Leah's words) and then something like this happens and that's a few more "hiccups" maybe that person needs to accept the fact that this is not the line of work she should be in?

And why would she lie? To make her sanctuary look better and more legit than it actually is. Why else would she also have her sister leave a testimonial for her? (Side note: It's pret-ty nice of someone you're not even on speaking terms with to leave you such an awesome testimonial. More lies?) In my opinion, and take that for whatever it's worth to you, family reviews need to be disclosed and are more "endorsements" than customer reviews. To leave a testimonial and not even add in there, "This is my sister's rescue," is shady. Of course Leah would say that's not something she thought about.... or she can't control what her sister writes.... or it actually was honestly an adoption because she doesn't consider her family (just making stuff up here)... the list of excuses could go on.

There's plenty more I could post but if I haven't made my point to you by now I never will.

Since I confronted Leah last night she has taken down the copyrighted pictures from her "Success stories" album (that's something else I could go into but won't). Taken down in that bunch was the A seemani photo that she must've gotten from my FB page. She also took down the A versicolor photo... I guess that means it's not a "Success story" after all? Anyway, point being she will try to "make right" the wrongs she does, so she has that in her favor, but, well, it shouldn't have gotten to that point to begin with. All this stress isn't even the result of trying to adopt something from her. I can't imagine how that would go. :( And remember, you're giving her money!

I once had to confront Leah about something else and the conversation ended with her saying, "i love you erica and i consider you a true friend and i hope none of this has changed that for you." If she felt that way about me and would still use my copyrighted photos without asking or would twist my animal's stories around for her benefit, what would she do to you, Joe Schmoe from Craigslist? Something to think about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5761448939_8dd78a2701_z.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	21   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5761451559_cd0721b71f_z.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	22   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5762053240_d7a29e3f12_o.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	23  

First of all I was given permission for everything done with those spiders and i have witnesses to that. As for adoption goes i joined the club having rescued erins tokays and her monitor all of which were almost starved to death when i got them (yet theres no warning up about her and she continues to get free animals from here) You left facebook temporarily with the last thing having been said was you were stressed and needed time away so i didn't want to bother you with my newly learned information on the seemani especially since it was a semi recent developement since larry now only calls me when he wants something i figured i wouldn't bother you larry intimidated me as well which is why i wasn't even there when my dad and boyfriend picked up my leopard geckos you never expressed interest in us going there together as a team to get the spiders back you simply told me you were afraid to do it well my dad didn't want to stir up trouble with him over spiders unless you were there as well so with you not planning on coming out i decided to drop it until i found out he gave at least the seemani to another one of my friends i really don't speak to anymore who moved out of state granted i havent been to his house since the leopard gecko incident so for all i know he lied to make himself look better.

As for the versi with exotipet i know she'll have a forever home and i never claimed in my success stories that they were all adopted out i've had people ask if they all were or how they came about being gotten and i tell them honestly i traded out the versi for some slings and she has a forever home thats why it was called success stories not adoption stories so that people could know the difference also i'm not the only one running FSF sanctuary my sister wrote that review because my mother asked her because no i'm not on speaking terms with my sister your welcome to ask my mother my boyfriend my father hell even my cousins and my grandma know i'm not on speaking terms with her and i didn't feel that the relative matter should be referanced because my full name is in my emails my facebook page etc people can put 2 and 2 together about our last names being the same.

I'm really sincerely hurt in this situation since you once told me that you prefer not to directly attack your members and leave it to be figured out like that well what about Rick who sold us a RTB loaded completely with mites knowing he has had mite problems for a while now he obviously had to know there was a possibility of them or how about Mike the guy you brought here to quit arguements on CL who actually is selling illegally WC colorado native species on your very own classifieds if you're going to point out when people make mistakes then you better do it with all your members otherwise your singling people out wheres the warnings for erin mike rick all of them who has made mistakes? I did think we were friends i was obviously mistaken i have apologized to you for my mistakes but obviously that wasn't good enough and instead of dropping it when an apology has been made you make a big show of it i'm just wondering where the warnings for the others were? i was asked to write a warning about larry who hasn't ever even been on the website for doing the same thing erin does so why wasn't a warning ever written about her? and when i suggested it you basically told me you don't like to meddle with your members well what is this then? I'm fairly certain at this point i am going to leave the club i don't have the energy or time for all the drama the club has brought me. I have always tried my best and i'm sorry if people view me the way that Erica does.

leah, there is a very big, and substantial, difference between "a personal attack" and "a review/warning" from someone.

bell has CLEARLY laid down a review/warning here. i saw NOTHING that was "personal attack"ish about this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita
    ...since you once told me that you prefer not to directly attack your members
    I did not attack you. And I didn't want to post something that wasn't needed. I asked you all my questions first instead of just jumping to conclusions. I confirmed the stories with other people/posts. I slept on it. I cleared it with Brian first that I can even post this review. IT IS THAT BAD OF A SITUATION that you are THE FIRST person I've had to do this with and it's gotten to THIS POINT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita
    ...having rescued erins tokays and her monitor all of which were almost starved to death when i got them (yet theres no warning up about her and she continues to get free animals from here) ...what about Rick who sold us a RTB loaded completely with mites knowing he has had mite problems for a while now he obviously had to know there was a possibility of them or how about Mike the guy you brought here to quit arguements on CL who actually is selling illegally WC colorado native species on your very own classifieds... i'm just wondering where the warnings for the others were?
    Where are my personal dealings with them again? I didn't get those tokays. I didn't get the RTB...... If YOU did YOU owe it to the animals to post the reviews YOURSELF. I'm posting MY PERSONAL dealings with YOU.

But seriously, you act like Rick isn't up front about the mite problem. He freely talked about that at the last meeting at his house! Also, as far as I'm aware Erin isn't really active here any more. If she's getting "free animals" that's news to me. <-- and here I am feeding in to the drama. Sorry, Brian.

Seriously, I've said my piece. I'm done. Take my warning for what it's worth. Thanks.

EDIT: Leah, I'm at work and can't talk on my cell. Please stop calling me. Three times is enough. You posted your warning on Craigslist (or your mom did), you said your piece, too. Leave me alone. Tell your mom to leave me alone. Thanks!

Wow, just an update.... and I am shaking so bad I can barely type this right now. I'm at work so, while I'm in front of a computer and can have whatever conversations I want online, I can NOT answer my phone. I have received at least five calls from Leah's phone number since I posted this review (I'm suspecting actually six but one is "unavailable"). I was only able to listen to a couple of the VMs and it's her mom reaming me. I feel like this drama has escalated too far. It has already pushed at least one member from the forums. And I don't take too kindly to being harassed.

Leah has been banned from the website and the club. She is the first person to have ever been banned. She is not allowed to join club functions any longer, either, so please don't invite her. Thanks. (This includes her family members, also, specifically her mom, AnnMarie McLaughlin.)

I hate to have to do it because the people I want MOST in this club are people who could really, really use our help. I can't take the drama any more, though.

Now... back to our regularly scheduled program. This thread is intended for reviews, not drama.

Well I was going to stay out of this FAR FAR FAR away but now I am kind of irratated after reading the little warning about the Bug Club on CL. That was a very selfish thing to do. I have done nothing to you and by posting that garbage on CL it potentially ruins things for someone who has nothing to do with YOUR problem. I say YOUR problem because everything that you touch and every deal that you are involved with either goes sour or someone ends up getting pissed off.

I have dealt with people a lot on CL and yeah I have had my share of bad deals but there is a reason that you have been involved in more bad deals than anyone else. I am going to help you figure it out, step 1) grab a mirror step 2) look into it and see the person looking right back at you. Good job you have now idetified the problem!

Then you throw Rick into your when he didn't have anything to do with this warning! WTF?? Rick gave me a RTB and it had a mouth infection and a mite infestation. He also TOLD me at his house that he had a mite problem. So guess what I did I treated it and fixed it before I put it around my other animals. For you to target him because you were called out was messed up!!

I'm surprised that Exotipet still has anything to do with you after all the stuff you talked about the bad slings they traded you for the versicolor!

Is there anyone you have not double crossed yet?

Your sancturary is a joke...it switches from a sancturary to a business and back and forth depending on your money situation. Perfect example of that is when I wanted that FREE Savanah monitor you had but then convieniantly when I asked you about it all the sudden it had an 80.00 price tag and it was the friendliest Savanah in the world.

You have the nerve to ask people for five dollars in gas money to deliver pets to the springs but had no problem asking me to drive all the way to Loveland to pick up Scorpions for you and then deliver them to the Springs which would have been about a 7 hour round trip for me and you offered me 5 bucks lol then got short with me when I told you that you would be better off having them mailed.

Karma ....it's coming to you wait and see. Glad you are leaving. I never did trust you. Oh and BTW I would have brought those Scorpions to you but I didn't want to be blasted on FB and CL after you killed them with poor care or complained about thier quality.

Peace out home slice!

if anyone has anything else to add to this discussion, please PM/email me.

***pertinent information added***

just received an email from Erwynn about this situation. since they were mentioned by name, i felt this is perfectly ok to be added. thank you for the email Erwynn.

message as follows:

"Hey widowman, I recently became aware of what happened between leah and the
    club. I noticed I was mentioned in the last discussion so I wanted to
    defend myself and let u know what really happened, so the club doesn't
    think we're scum and treat our animals like crap.

When I first met leah we had acquired our tokays and our timor monitors
    from scales n tails. The tokays were in horrid shape when we got them, we
    had been treating them for parasites for a long while before we had "lent"
    them to leah. Same medical issues with our monitor. As a timor, irwin was
    lean to begin with because he was arboreal, we fed him and the tokays a
    wide insectivorous diet everyday. They were not "sick" when they had gone
    to stay with her. And I had told her they had been treated for medical
    issues.

When we were at our last place we had chatted about our finances a little
    bit and when robert had lost his job we knew we had to rehome some of the
    animals so they wouldn't suffer. Leah had offered to "watch our animals
    for us untl we got back on our feet". To us, this seemed like a good idea
    because I was certain they would be well cared for until we were able to
    get them back.

Once robert was working again I contacted her about getting our pets back.
    We were in contact all the time because she needed husbandry advice and
    information on caring for them a lot. Once I was able to reach her and
    contacted her about getting our animals back, her demeanor changed. She
    was very upset about giving them back, and I offered to let her keep the
    tokays so she would give us Irwin, our monitor back. She agreed and over 2
    weeks we constantly came into conflict about getting me irwin back. She
    always had things going on, I offered to go out there but my timing never
    worked for her.

She was also upset with me because I would not "trade" her our boa from
    rick or our savannah monitor. She started insisting that we give her
    another monitor for irwin. When I was finally blunt with her and told her
    I wasn't going to "trade" her anything, she seemed fine with it and offered
    her dad would bring us Irwin the next day. So on the day we were supposed
    to get our timor back she messaged me and said she couldn't do it because
    her parents said she loved irwin too much and she wasn't "allowed" to give
    him back. Then she said we were horrible people and couldn't have him
    back. Then she told other people we were scum, hoarders, treated our
    animals like crap etc...

I cannot express how much turmoil she has emotionally put us through. I
    can only hope that our animals are well taken care of because there is
    nothing we can do about the situation. We take good care of our animals
    and do not take in anything we can't care for. We don't take in animals
    anymore because we have a good ratio of animals and we aren't hoarders.

It also came to my attention that leah has somehow contacted a lot of my
    personal friends and family, perhaps through fb, slandering me, so I'm not
    quite sure how to go about that.

The whole situation with leah caused us to see her true side, and I wish I
    had told more people, but I felt nothing I said would help anything since I
    felt like I was attacked. I have to apologize for losing my nerve in the
    forums and going off on her, but the situation had really upset me. As an
    adult, it was immature of me to react in that way, and especially as a
    moderator, it was very un-professional of me.

For me, she told people, in club, fb, and cl that she took in unwanted
    animals and took care of them giving them forever homes. But when I saw
    her turn back around and sell these animals, it was underhanded, immoral,
    and sketchy to me. It seems like she's a girl who may love animals but she
    IS a hoarder and gets bored of her new animals and turns around to sell
    them. Everytime I saw her on cl selling her "rescued" tarantulas and other
    animals I recognized from bug club members it made me really upset.

That is my two cents basically. I don't know how to redeem myself in this
    club as it was a great resource of information and friends for me. Guess I
    don't want to be seen as a horrible person, because I am not. I avoided
    the club because of leah because I felt it was the best thing to do.

I really want ya'll to know what happened."

Leah Mclaughlin in Calhan, CO is pursuing another avenue in the local exotic pet industry so beware the Rocky Mountain Critter Club. She goes by "Living Dead Girl" on that forum so, again, use caution in doing any business with her. The Rocky Mountain Critter Club also has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky-Mo ... 3364915245

A vigilante club member brought this to my attention. I had to post this so if people search the name of her club this comes up in the search results and people can see the warning about her. Gotta spread the word somehow and I don't want to start more drama by posting this warning on other forums.

EDIT: Free Spirit Farm Sanctuary is back online at this website: http://freespiritfarmsanctuary.webs.com/

Re: Free spirit farm Reptile/invert sanctuary Reviews

Here is an additional review from Mike:

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    The following is a long review/detailed list of interactions with Leah/Free Spirit. This is all well documented by both emails, forum posts, and printed copies of both..

A few months ago I lost my job, I had no source of incoming and turned to running and operating a small reptile business, as well as doing rehab work for some reptiles. I had a lot of time on my hands and was having a blast. Soon I was alerted to a post on craigslist about taking in unwanted reptiles. The information presented was awful, the grammar was sub 5th grade level and of course, the flagging war began. No big deal, innocent people flagging each other. She opened her "rescue/sanctuary" shortly after on facebook and publicly. At around the same time, M&M Reptiles was officially created.

Things happened on craigslist and we ended up getting into it with each other. I called her out on many of her practices, her husbandry, her attitude, and a multitude of other things. I ended up receiving a message on facebook inviting me to resolve the issue here on this forum rather than on the public classifieds of craigslist. This turned in to an open debate between us and a couple other people here, and was eventually killed off. Leah and I spoke privately in Emails about things and we agreed to be on speaking terms. However, before too long things had drove me to the point of making a second topic here on the forums openly discussing some of her policies such as adoption fees- and **** hit the fan.

Timor Monitor mentioned in an above post:
    I inquired to her about how she kept this monitor originally via my girlfriends facebook account. She gave me all sorts of wrong information and we left it be. When we where back on speaking terms I inquired about this monitor often- as monitors are in general a specific specialty of mine. She assured me he was in a new cage- she just couldn't take pictures. Week after week everything else had pictures taken but not the monitor, I apparently didn't deserve pictures of the monitors care, and was assured yet again the monitor was well taken care of. The monitor I believe is still in the same cage- with wrong husbandry, wrong diet, poor interaction, and in bad shape. I do know she has already killed another monitor in her care. Fine.

Kingsnakes:
    These where interesting. Within a couple days of having these snakes- they where up for adoption. This is a practice no realistic reptile rescue would ever do. None of them where quarantined or inspected properly. The snakes she was given for free- where then posted for $55 each on craigslist (or varying amounts close to that) frequently, sometimes several times per day. She claimed the $55 was to recoup the care and food costs. She breeds her own rats, so in reality the food cost was very low. All of her arguments where flawed and she was only proving one thing: she was using her "rescue" to use the ploy of "adoption" to charge a higher price for her animals.

My Crocodile Geckos:
    After telling everyone she's so short on money, and space, and time to properly take care of the animals SHE had the audacity to email me asking about taking in a pair of Crocodile Geckos I had. She was even going as far as to buy them off of me if possible - of which I declined of course knowing the care of her other animals.

After I made my last topic- I was told via private message to not contact her again. I did not message her in any form, she later invited me openly on the forums to email her FSF email with any questions/concerns I may have. I went to eat lunch and thought nothing of it. I came back to find a rant from her mother in my voice mail, I was screamed at and cussed out so I decided to return the phone call and try to speak rationally. I was met with threats, screaming, cursing, and personal insults. Including and not limited to such things as "fat prick" (I'm 6'0 155...), "retard", "stupid ****er", "idiot", "***hole", "broke", "worthless", "scum", etc etc. I politely told Leah's mother to not call this number again or I would pursue charges. Within 10 minutes (almost exactly, I need to check the paperwork), I had received another call ranting at me for another 10 or so minutes. They went as far as to call the police on me (in which me and the sheriff had a great conversation about
    the ordeal, and he said I am far from in the wrong, considering I have so much proof of what actually happened).

I can say the following:
    She has had multiple perfectly healthy animals die in her care- animals that a 12 year old can properly take care of; however, she can not manage.
    She takes completely improper care of her animals- I have yet to see a well taken care of animal from her or her facility.
    She is a hoarder, 150%, her house is dirty, the animals are not taken care of properly, neither are the animals in her parents care.
    She has nothing but negative reviews for someone who claims to be so "well connected".
    She is very confused on what is her personal collection, what is a rescue, and what it means to be a rescue.
    She is 100% a liar, as is her mother, they are also very vicious people with a huge ego and in need of an attitude adjustment.

After the second phone call threatening me, and my conversation with the sheriff I decided to compile all of the information I had. Her mother said and I quote "she may not have money, but I do, and I will file suit against you". I have taken this threat extremely seriously- as I have taken the threats sent to other members of the forum. I have openly said to Leah and her Mother- if you contact me, my business or my family again I will pursue full legal action against her and her rescue, and her mother and her rescue. Anyone getting any harassment from her is welcome to contact me directly for further information on what exactly is going on and the specifics of things.

Re: Free spirit farm Reptile/invert sanctuary Reviews

It has been brought to my attention that Leah McLaughlin now goes by Leah Arispe. So, exercise caution if approached by someone of that name looking for animals.