Thread: Is this normal practice!?

Is this normal practice!?

Ok, to make a long story short we recently made a trade with another dealer online who we will keep anonymous for the time being. The trade began decent and fairly even, although we do have to admit the other party wasn't very flexible nor fair... but we really wanted the spiders they had so we were willing to take a small loss and deal with them.

Sunday, the day before we are both supposed to ship I receive an email saying,
    "I won't be able to ship until Tuesday. Are you going to be available on Wednesday to receive the package?? My and and myself have been pretty ill so I'm running on empty right now.. I have to get some 8 packages together for customers but you and another will have to wait until tomorrow to pack. I know you're shipping mine out tomorrow and I have made the $XX payment so obviously I've extended some trust out to you so please do the same for me. :-) I have a lot of good reviews and are known by many of the respected people on AB so you don't have to worry about my cheating you.
    Let me know if shipping Tuesday will be a problem and I ship when is best for you."

Monday, we ship the package and include an extra sling.

Tuesday, the other party receives our package by noon, and at 5:15pm we get an email...
    "I had a chance to look at everyone and for the most part everyone is doing great. I do have a problem with three of the A versi though. The picture below you can see what I'm talking about... Getting stuck in the molt or part of a molt and ultimately dying. I receive 3 that have vertually half the toes still stuck in the molt. If you look carefully at this picture you can see it. You may want to look carefully at the slings before shipping anymore out just to be sure you catch those beforehand. I'm going to try to get the molts off but it's really a delicate thing. I'm not sure what you want to do about those 3 but let me know your ideas."

So our order didn't end up going out

Wednesday,
    -----My Response----- 8:54a
    "Sorry to hear about the couple with stuck molts... I tried to make sure none of them got sent, I was trying to pack 90 slings before 5 and after getting off work at noon so I was kinda rushing. I do know though that all the slings I had sent ate at least 1-3 pinhead crickets, and the were all pretty active. The first ones only started molting 7 days ago today so I still have a few pulling off molts also... as long as all their legs look strong and they continue to eat they will be fine, it should all pull off by their next molt. If they do perish let me know and we will make it up to you the next time we do a trade or you want anything wholesale from us. Once again we are sorry and will make sure your happy with them. We will make sure no more like that go out, we appreciate the info.

Thanks,
    Brandon

P.S. If you haven't sent out our package you can send them back and you can just subtract x Cyriocosmus off the trade and that will leave you with xx versi (we included the extra in case any died or something like this). Keep in mind they will be considered in your control at that point & your responsibility for live arrival back here."

10:58 AM ----This is what I'm asking about.... is it fair for the party to wait that long for them to survive?
    "That actually doesn't work for me. This is what I'm going to do. I'm taking 2 A purpurea for the 4 (I found another 1 this morning I missed yesterday) and if in 3 weeks, these guys are still alive, I will send you $xx ($xx a sling) via paypal to make up the difference. A stuck molt in most cases means a sling will die. I also am really surprised these guys have eaten already since most Avic slings don't eat for about 3 weeks after they molt to 2nd instar.
    More power to you :-)
    I hope this is acceptable to you. I am doing what I feel, if the roles were reversed, I would find acceptable myself. "

NOTE: the $xx amount is worth $30 less than the 2 A purpurea that are being removed, and they are the main reason we wanted to make the trade.

11:19 AM -----20min later---- Our response
    "We would rather you take out as many Cyriocosmus as you want before taking the Purpurea out, especially since we sent the two velutina for them. We much prefer the Avicularia species. The rest of the deal sounds fine. Hope you understand."

To finish up the story my reply wasn't received by the other party in time and my order was finally shipped... Wednesday, and I didn't receive it till Fri. There was one extra purpurea included, and sad to report one of the Bertae was dead on arrival. The other party has been very apologetic about it and willing to make up the loss.

I will note we are going to leave them a good review despite the problems, although would look elsewhere before making a trade with them again.
    [color=#006000][b]--ExotiPet--
    BUY - SELL - TRADE
    Visit Our YouTube -- Visit Our Facebook -- SEE OUR REVIEWS

Re: Is this normal practice!?

That is absolutely unacceptable for them to wait that long... that is ridiculous to even propose that. If at three weeks one of those slings died there is no way to pin point what did it in to its toes being stuck in an old molt. ESPECIALLY with Avics that just randomly die any way.

How bad were they stuck? In my experience, if a sling is stuck in a molt or has a molt stuck to it in places, you can remove the molt and it doesn't cause problems... maybe wait a bit for the sling to harden but it's never been an issue "resulting in death." I've pulled molts off abdomens and legs with no issues. ...that said... if a sling gets stuck in a molt and is going to die because of that I would say it would die relatively quick. Like, if you packed it while it was stuck and shipped it... it should have been DOA. If a sling dies while stuck in a molt it's prolly going to be due to injury getting out of the molt... puncturing or tearing its new skin and bleeding to death.

"I also am really surprised these guys have eaten already since most Avic slings don't eat for about 3 weeks after they molt to 2nd instar." Also, I would be apt to say that statement is completely unfounded!

OMG thats horrible whoever did that was highly unprofessional and to me seemed kinda snarky i'm sorry you guys had to deal with that BS it's people like that that make me terrified to order from out of state

Well this explanes why I was confused and hadn't heard from you about the A. purpurea slings.

So does that mean you have them now? even if the trade I proposed is a no go (which would be understandable as I honestly have NO IDEA how long he has been mature) I want to purchase at least one sling ($40?)

As for the trade and waiting so long - yeah I think that's unacceptable. Really IMHO if you do a trade the packages should be sent at the same time. If the person has a last min problem he should contact you and You should delay shipping until he can ship - so you both receive packages around the same time.

If there are any deaths then they should be worked out with money (unless there are deaths on both sides)

Toes caught isn't going to kill the spider. (unless they totaly maim it trying to get the molt off..) One of the A. metailica slings I bought from you got caught similarly and I just sprayed the heck out of the vial and it shed the rest on it's own a day later.

- Sharon

Seemed like a douche move to me

Doesn't sound right to me either.

Based on what you said here I would personally leave neutral feedback at best. It sounds to me like the guy screwed you over. I might email him first and say that I thought the situation was unreasonable and why, and what would make me feel like we were square. If I still felt unhappy with the transaction after that I'd probably leave flat out bad feedback, with specific reasons why. But even if he squares you monetarily, that 3 week thing is unacceptable to me and that's why I would never leave better than neutral.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

After reading all your responses and going over all the emails again we really do feel the person was very unprofessional and unfair. We are gonna leave a neutral review also because they definitely don't need to be praised for that sort of practice. I also think at this point its fair to release the party's name, or in this case business name. It's Kaydyn's Animal House, they have a website but mostly sell from posts on the arachnoboards. I wouldn't ever say don't buy from them but you may be cautious if looking to make a trade. Thanks again for all the responses!

Brandon & Ashley
    [color=#006000][b]--ExotiPet--
    BUY - SELL - TRADE
    Visit Our YouTube -- Visit Our Facebook -- SEE OUR REVIEWS