Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: foxes as pets?

foxes as pets?

did anyone happen to catch the article in this month's national geographic about the lady in russia who selectively breeds foxes? it's a very interesting article if you get the chance.

talks about how the group has selectively bred foxes over many generations (trying to replicate the process of domestication) trying to get domestic foxes. from each litter they took the top few most cordial and human-friendly foxes. they continued to breed like this and the changes they saw were drastic. traits, even physical ones, changed over a few generations, and supposedly the foxes are just like pets now. very interesting and kinda wondering where this will go in the years to come?

thoughts?

Re: foxes as pets?

i've never read the article your talking about but my dad had a pet raised fox when he was a kind and had her for years so it is possible to domesticate them and tame them i've heard of it done from my dad my papa and my aunt who also had one

yes, very interesting.

more interesting to me was the whole process of domestication. they did not simply take a fox and "make it a pet" or anything, but rather selectively bred and got crazy results after many generations. much faster than they had expected.

so, like the domestication of the common family dog, i wonder if we will soon see "domestic foxes" which will look much different and act different than regular foxes?

i know if you take a foxlett? baby fox? (lol sorry don't know the baby term for foxes) as a baby before it's eyes open and bottle feed it it will act like a domesticated dog kinda like a wolf hybrid dog thats what my dad said their temperments are similiar to very protective and vocal

hehe, "kit", but i like "foxlet" better

lol but aren't they canines? why would a canine be a kit i personally like foxlet better myself but thats probably because i own too many frogs

yes, and i think any of the following applies: kit, cub, pup.

most you will find say "kit" though.

but i will start from now on implementing the term foxlet. much better so kudos to you!

lol thanks it just randomly popped in my head thats the word i think of when i see a baby fox

The foxes from that lab that are 100% domestic run about $6000....spayed and neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Taipan
    The foxes from that lab that are 100% domestic run about $6000....spayed and neutered.
    :o

(that is all)

I don't know about a fox but I would really like to have a pet skunk ...too bad you an't own in Colorado.

I'm wanting a Savannah cat. It's a compromise for us... Eric likes cats... I like dogs. Get a big cat you can walk on a leash like a dog! (The $6K reminded me about the cats' price and why I would never own one of them.... or a fox.)

Fox eyes kinda bug me out.

i just googled a savannah cat cause i didn't know what they were wow those things are epic looking

Quote Originally Posted by figgy4
    I don't know about a fox but I would really like to have a pet skunk ...too bad you an't own in Colorado.
    i've ALWAYS wanted to have a pet skunk!! they make excellent pets from everything i read.

Quote Originally Posted by widowman10
    Quote Originally Posted by figgy4
    i've ALWAYS wanted to have a pet skunk!! they make excellent pets from everything i read.
    my mom used to have a pet skunk that was decented she said it was a lot like having a pet ferret and that they're a lot of complications in keeping them since they have to be descented they had medical issues with their scent glands

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast