Thread: Pet Trade ****OPINIONS PLEASE******

Unhappy Pet Trade ****OPINIONS PLEASE******

Opinions?

So recently I inquired about a Burmese Python on CL and they were accepting trades. I offered to trade my 1 year old Retic granite back 66% Het Anthrax female for the Albino Burm. So the person who had the Burm asked me to bring the Retic so that her boyfriend could see it first. I took my Retic down there and he had agood look at it and while looking at it he said, "looks like he rubbed his face against something" I said he had cut his mouth on a Sani-chip from his bedding. Well I went home and got a call like two days later saying the trade was a go. We met and traded.

About a week passes and I get a text message that say's "The Retic has mouth rot, did you know that?" I responded that I knew he had a sore on his mouth but that it did not look like mouth rot and your boyfriend lso noticed it and thought nothing of it" She responded ok. That was that.

So then another week passes and she text me again and said " The Retics mouth is a lot worse, I am going to try to get medicine but if she doesn't make it we will have to work something out"

I responded and said " What exactly do you mean "TRY" to get medicine? "What do you mean IF she makes it" I told her if she does not treat the snake and it does not "make" it that has nothing to do with me and I could not be held responsible.

Then she started telling me "no wonder I wanted to get rid of it" and telling me that I am a F***ing D*** and getting very rude.

How would you feel about this? Do you think I am obligated in any kind of way? I mean had she approached it in a sensible matter, in the ineterst of the animal I would have offered to split the cost of the medicine however now I feel like I don't want to do ANYTHING for her. but I also feel bad for the animal. She followed up with a text that said " I will get meds for her and as soon as she is better she is going up for sale with a mate.

So what do you guys think??

Re: Pet Trade ****OPINIONS PLEASE******

Unless a contract was signed you have absolutely no obligation to do anything with them anymore you struck up a trade and in colorado ownership of an animal lasting 48 hours means it's now their responsibility and if they know theirs an issue and don't do anything about it then it's animal cruelty i'm sorry to hear your going through this BS it's really a shame

I agree, Greg... that is totally not cool of them. Now, granted I don't know anything about snakes (can you treat mouth rot in snakes yourself??), but I'd say the SECOND she thought it had mouth rot she should have taken it to a vet. From what I've read about mouth rot in reptiles it would be very obvious if it was rot or just a sore. They willingly took the snake knowing it had a sore... they should have been careful with it so it wouldn't get infected. It's their bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell
    can you treat mouth rot in snakes yourself??

you can actually treat mouth rot yourself if you know what your doing

Definitely not cool of them! You didn't do anything wrong if it's something you didn't know about and they didn't seem concerned when they left with it. The might take it to a vet...is what really gets me. When you get a pet you should take in account that if it needs you to take care of it medically you do it. it counts on you for care and you by taking it in agree to taking care of it.

Yes, Bull!! Definitely. I couldn't agree more.

I've seen this happen a lot with herps, though... it seems like for some reason herps don't take priority to actually have vet care..? I've seen it happen w/ a cat, too... so it's not just exotic pet hobby related... but definitely less common in mammals. Is it because it's "hard" to find vets to treat reptiles??

I have to say... it wasn't difficult for me to find an exotic pet vet and I've sunk quite a bit of money into free reptiles I've gotten.

Rx for ulcerative stomatitis:
    Type I- Physical debridement of affected tissue from underlying mucous membranes, followed by irrigation with tap water and then application of polysporin ointment. If case is very bad then irrigate with providone iodine solution. This is done daily until cured.
    Type II- Same treatment but physical debridement is supposed to be more difficult and cure won't happen without the use of aminoglycoside antibiotic.
    You will then need a vet.
    If condition is recurrent then a culture will need to be done to exact a Rx.

Also, make sure the animals headis held downward during irrigation to prevent aspiration pneumonia.

If the vet doesn't have a collection of reptiles of their own then I would'nt use them. Reptiles aren't but touched on in vet school and are more of a speciality. So if they are going to charge money they should practice on their own before they practice on mine. Thats my opinion.

When the trade went down he had just a small cut on the upper portion of his lip. He did not have any of the symptoms of mouth rot i.e. breathing with the mouth open, pus, discharge, and just plain nastiness. I had treated his cut with a anti bacterial solution for pets and the cut seemed a lot better before I even traded him.

Two weeks pass and I then find out his mouth is in real bad shape. Mouth rot if caught and treated early is RARELY fatal unless you are a douche bag and you wait and play the finger pointing game.

Yeah, they caused the mouth rot, not you.