Thread: Does this happen?

Does this happen?

So, every so often I see comments online on someone's arachnid pics/vids from people saying, "Oh, your tarantula/scorpion should be kept this way because it's from [x-location]..." Usually these comments come from people who obviously don't realize it's near impossible to replicate an arachnid's natural environment in captivity.

Anyway, my question is... do herp keepers ever get comments like this? Like have you or anyone you've known posted a picture of a snake in its set up and had someone come back and say, "Oh, you should be keeping it like [x] because it's from [y]?"

I ask because as far as I've seen *most* herp keepers also have pretty basic enclosures like *most* of us arachnid keepers use (we can't all be RobC ). And, like, you can't tell me a rack/bin set up is anything like a natural environment for a gecko or snake..... Or, like, with my Tokay gecko... sure I have lots of dirt, hides, fake plants, a temp gradient, as high of humidity as I can keep, etc.... but in no way do I believe it's anywhere near how they live in Asia. I mean, it's a small glass box with fake plants, come on now. But, like, I've posted pics of my geckos online and no one has ever come back and said, "That's not how they should be kept... Here's how...."

Just curious if there are more "trolls" in the invert side of things...

Re: Does this happen?

I'm not as big into the reptiles as some people but in my experience no. When people discuss care of reptiles it's usually restricted to humidity and temperature requirements. Seems to me the reason they don't bring up location as much is because a lot of times our artifical constructs in tanks end up being better than the natural (example: reptile carpet or newspaper instead of sand). Can I tell you where leopard geckos are from? Of course. Should their natural enviroment be perfectly replicated? No, because sand and dirt pose a threat (particularly to young ones). Do most inverts have issue with impaction due to ingesting sand? Not really. I'm sure someone would point out an example with like a Hadrurus or something but as rule it isn't an issue. And on the matter of inverts people don't fully understand their natural enviroment. When's the last time you visited South American to study the wild rosehair tarantula? Can anyone here say that they have?

I think people bring up location with bugs to sound smart. I feel like the reptile hobby is more fully explored than the invert hobby. An expert on reptile breeds pied ball python morphs, an expert on tarantulas can barely breed them period.

Great points, Andrew.

Like, everyone can read online that rosies come from one of the driest deserts on Earth. Do we keep them bone dry? I read that in a lot of caresheets. Do I not provide a water dish? No... every life needs water! Like, Mars, my rosie now, prefers moist soil. Like, she's always hanging out by her water dish... and for fun, one time, I poured water in a section of her enclosure and sure enough the next time I looked at her she was sitting on the moist part. Some inverts you can keep "by the book" by I would say a lot you can't... especially in captivity! I would say she prolly lived by some sort of oasis in her prior life, haha.

Haha Mars is a funny one. I just changed the dirt in my rosehair's tank she's clinging to the walls. It doesn't even feel moist and she's being a spaz. She also attacks the water dish. Yes she almost always has water. Does she approve of such frivolous luxuries? Never. She thrives on neglect lol.

I would agree, when it comes to Snakes I have only heard about natural enviroments and how to replicate the temps and humidity. When setting up a visual display it would make sense not to drop a Green Anaconda in a desert viv with a cactus.

I seriously doubt my CB rainbow boa longs for his natural habitat when all he has ever known is his rubbermaid.

you've got a rainbow boa? columbian or brazilian? i've got a couple brazilians.

yeah i agree with the others it's not as talked about in herps as it is in inverts

I get that quite often, but thats ok, just a difference of opinion & sometimes we can learn from it. Kim
    I do about 100 free educational presentations a year at schools & other venues. I am always interested in more invert species to add to our collection. Kim

The reptile community is full of some of the most arrogant and stuck up people I have ever met in my entire life. I much rather deal with politicians and law enforcement than the vast majority of the people I meet from this hobby. The animal has basic needs. Heat, Water, Humidity, substrate etc. As long as those basic requirements for life are met the rest does not matter. Keep your desert species in a tropical looking tank, use a GI JOE doll instead of a stick to climb on. Use a rack or an aquarium who cares, both if done properly can house the animal with no issues.

There's always going to be someone who thinks they know that their enclosure is better than yours. A lot of "areas" aren't really what the animal needs though either, it's tricky honestly.

For instance, Leopard geckos, even though from the desert, aren't "really" from the true sandy desert, they are from these rocky desert areas, so a soil/sand mix would be good.

And then savannah monitors, are truly from high rainfall areas of africa and require high humidity! I mean..who knew?

There are trolls everywhere. As these animals' keepers it's our responsibility to do the best we can to take care of them in captivity so that they flourish in health and are healthy physically and mentally. Not everyone wants to do the "natural habitat" thing and for others it's an art form. True vivariums take A LOT of work, care, and research. It is highly improbable to completely replicate an animals habitat.

All animals are different too. Even though I try to go off base information regarding heat, humidity and whatnot, if I see Kirrin our blackthroat always hanging out on the cool side I'm going to turn down the basking temp a lil bit so he's happy and not overheating, even if it's "not the norm."
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Quote Originally Posted by Erwynn View Post
    There's always going to be someone who thinks they know that their enclosure is better than yours. A lot of "areas" aren't really what the animal needs though either, it's tricky honestly.

For instance, Leopard geckos, even though from the desert, aren't "really" from the true sandy desert, they are from these rocky desert areas, so a soil/sand mix would be good.

And then savannah monitors, are truly from high rainfall areas of africa and require high humidity! I mean..who knew?

There are trolls everywhere. As these animals' keepers it's our responsibility to do the best we can to take care of them in captivity so that they flourish in health and are healthy physically and mentally. Not everyone wants to do the "natural habitat" thing and for others it's an art form. True vivariums take A LOT of work, care, and research. It is highly improbable to completely replicate an animals habitat.

All animals are different too. Even though I try to go off base information regarding heat, humidity and whatnot, if I see Kirrin our blackthroat always hanging out on the cool side I'm going to turn down the basking temp a lil bit so he's happy and not overheating, even if it's "not the norm."
    Savannah Monitors are from low rainfall areas and spend most of their time in a deep soil burrow to maintain their humidity Just sayin! :p

Quote Originally Posted by Erwynn View Post
    ...Not everyone wants to do the "natural habitat" thing and for others it's an art form. True vivariums take A LOT of work, care, and research. It is highly improbable to completely replicate an animals habitat.
    See, I totally am all for keeping my leos on paper towel (when I had leos). It's easier on me. They can stay cleaner. They don't have substrate they may accidentally eat. Their food doesn't burrow (although I used worm bowls). Sure, it's not pretty and it's definitely not natural but it's pretty practical. I also used reptile carpet w/ my last leo but I noticed sometimes her claws would get stuck in it and it made me feel bad... so I wouldn't use that again. It's slightly more aesthetically pleasing than paper towel but does no good if they injure themselves.

On the flip side my tokay is on substrate because that helps me keep his humidity up.