Thread: looking at getting a new scorp

looking at getting a new scorp

While packing for moving to the springs, I found out that I had an empty 10 gallon tank. I used to have quite a few scorps but got rid of the majority while moving to colorado from michigan. Now I am looking at making a nice terrarium for either a large scorp or a small colony. I was wondering if there are any local shops that have a decent scorp selection. I am not sure what I am looking for yet ( no centuroides(sp?) though) but any ideas for shops or species would be apreciated.

Re: looking at getting a new scorp

I can't say I've seen any shops locally that had quality scorps. If you can get one w/in the next couple of days a member has posted a list here. Every scorp I've gotten (with exception of one someone caught in MO and gave to me while I was out there) I got from a club member.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want Centruroides? They make the best colonies (species hentzi specifically), as far as I'm aware. B jacksoni can live in colonies, too. What species did you own before that you got rid of? I was going to recommend a Desert Hairy because they get big and are relatively easy to care for but I see you already have one.

I'm partial to the big, black scorps... Heterometrus or Pandinus.... but they require the most care of any scorps I've had (in re: to temp and humidity). I think it's neat to have such a large specimen... they have the most "wow" factor, haha.

I think Androctonus are the coolest looking group of scorps but, uh, I honestly don't think I could ever own something that venomous.

Re: looking at getting a new scorp

I have owned centruroides before and for some reason I just was never too impressed. I have had B. Jax before and loved them, so I am considering them. I would love to get some andros, but I am on the road quite a bit and my wife does not want to take care of something that hot. I am also thinking of some forest scorp because I love setting up their cages and they do make a decent display.

I figured that I would have to go through a fellow hobbyist, but I thought I would see if there were any local stores.

Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to figure out what I want...