Thread: scorpion question

scorpion question

so my boyfriend is thinking about buying a female emporer scorpion thats been on CL this week it looks to be decent sized from the pictures and comes with setup their asking 20 for it and i was wondering if that was a decent price i don't wanna see him get cheated but idk anything about scorpians so i figured you guys would know

Re: scorpion question

That would be decent w/ the set up... but I guess it depends on the set up. Adult emperors can sell for, like, $5-$8.

Is that the one where she has two enclosures to choose from?
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pet/2107639639.html

I think it's an ok price, but I'd see if she'd take 15 for it. She's had that ad up for quite sometime so you may be able to haggle a little. Maybe not though, I don't know if she'd go down on the price or not, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Not sure if it really is a female or not, can't tell from just outward appearance.

The tank only comes with a log and water bowl and I can't quite tell if she has dirt in it or some sort of bark bottom or something in the cage. I believe emperors like damp substrate.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

yes it's the one that comes with the two enclosure options they do like it slightly damp from everything i've read but if it doesn't come with the right substrate i have some extra eco earth i can give him for her idk if they'll take 15 for it but i can check i just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad price for the scorpion

Well, if, say, he'd get an adult emp for $8..... and if that set up comes w/ even a small heat pad... which can go for, like, $14 new at PetCo (ridic!) That's already $22 he would be spending otherwise.... and he's getting a small aquarium, hide, etc... that's not bad. Go for it! Emps are AWESOME pets. Seriously... And you can live vicariously through him since your mom won't let you have scorps, hehe.

She will want substrate to burrow into, though, so, yeah, plan on using that EcoEarth.

haha yeah it'll be definitely cool if he gets a scorpion since mom wont let me have one i can just watch his eat and stuff i never would've imagined scorps to be burrowers lol i guess you learn something new everyday

Yup, forest type scorpions (like pandinus and heterometrus (I'm sure I spelled that wrong but can't be arsed to look it up)) are definite burrowers. Oddly enough so can, like, desert hairys.... even if they don't burrow they dig like crazy. But they live in sandy soil so when they dig it's really noisy, haha... Scorpions are neat little creatures.

I guess I should note there are two types of emps... forest and Savannah (most common) either type will burrow.

do the two types need different care? the ad doesn't say which it is

Nope. Pretty much the main difference, from what I remember from Isaac (the club scorpion guru from back in the day), is the forest types grow significantly larger. The forest types are pretty rare to be sold in the hobby, though... for whatever reason I dunno.

okay well at least the care is the same i wouldn't wanna give him all this info i've found and just end up giving him all the wrong info