Thread: kinda sad when you think about it

kinda sad when you think about it

as a lot of you guys know i take in reptiles and amphibians that are homeless and mistreated ect and either rehab them and find them new homes or rehab them and keep them myself (a person can only keep so much otherwise i'd keep them all) well this week i picked up several new animals 3 leopard geckos 2 of which are adults 1 a juvie of the super giant bloodlines or moose bloodlines (biggest leos i've ever seen the adults a 3x the size of my biggest adult) they are healthy and well taken care of so no complaints there. Then one of the guys who works for my dad found a tiger salamander wandering in one of the mechanical rooms on the air force academy the poor thing was half dead when i got him almost completely dried out cold as ice and was barely breathing i now have him warm eating and healthy again but it was still sad to see this limp little thing near death. well tonight i'm picking up 3 snakes 2 ball pythons and a juvie burmese python idk what condition their in as of yet but the basic situation was the guys roommate was military got deployed and abandoned these snakes with the roommate who is terrified of snakes he doesn't know how long it's been since they've eaten since he refuses to feed them so we'll see how they are when they get here but it's just sad to me to think that this guy just up and gave away these snakes to a roommate who he had to know was terrified of snakes i'm keeping the balls i know for certain but i might have to rehome the burmese at some point since my mom isn't fond of the idea of keeping anything that'll eat rabbits

Re: kinda sad when you think about it

Sure it's sad and it happens but you can't expect everyone to be as knowledgeable about animals as most of us are.

Everyone has to learn how to care for animals, it's not born into our intellectual data base. Either people get animals and learn about them and become experts, or they get bored and they don't. The latter is what happens to most of the animals we help. But life also happens sometimes and you can't judge people for what happens to their animals. A lot of times people are sold animals misleadingly and they don't understand how much care is needed.

I also have seen your ads in CL and you prolly shouldn't mention you will care for people's animals forever because I've noticed you have been rehoming/selling a lot of your animals within the last couple months. You shouldn't promise someone a forever home if you can't follow through. People entrust you with their animals and hope they are going to a good home where they will be cared for infinitely for that animals' natural life.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Quote Originally Posted by Erwynn
    Sure it's sad and it happens but you can't expect everyone to be as knowledgeable about animals as most of us are.

Everyone has to learn how to care for animals, it's not born into our intellectual data base. Either people get animals and learn about them and become experts, or they get bored and they don't. The latter is what happens to most of the animals we help. But life also happens sometimes and you can't judge people for what happens to their animals. A lot of times people are sold animals misleadingly and they don't understand how much care is needed.

I also have seen your ads in CL and you prolly shouldn't mention you will care for people's animals forever because I've noticed you have been rehoming/selling a lot of your animals within the last couple months. You shouldn't promise someone a forever home if you can't follow through. People entrust you with their animals and hope they are going to a good home where they will be cared for infinitely for that animals' natural life.

I would like to note that being a moderator does not allow for you to "get the last word in" by locking a thread after responding. This has been unlocked and will remain unlocked until the conversation becomes unproductive. In the years this forum has been around I have only had to lock one or two threads so it should not be a common way to handle moderation.

The point of this forum is to have open communication with other members in the hobby, and specifically, in the Rocky Mountain region. We are all entitled to our opinions on how other club members conduct themselves in the hobby. You can't respond publicly to someone in the manner you just did and not expect them to want to be able to defend themselves.

Thanks!

Okay, now, related to the content of this thread I just have a few things to say:

1) Any type of animal can be neglected so I want people to be aware that it's not just an "exotic pet hobby" occurrence. We all need to realize that pets are 100% dependent upon us, their owners, for proper care and nutrition. It's sad that anyone can let any pet starve or suffer but it happens. Good on you guys for trying to help the animal get back to its prime.

2) People may KNOW how to care for an animal but just aren't a) willing to do it properly or b) able to do it properly.

3) Malnourished or, sometimes, otherwise just ill animals may not have to do with the level of care the animal has received so, yes Erin, you should not judge people for what happens to their animals. ...but in my experience it will be pretty apparent if the animal's condition is due to, like, an illness (cancer, kidney stones, etc...) or neglect... sometimes it's both, though. As, also in my experience, animals that have special needs end up being the ones that are too much work or expense for their owners to handle.

4) There comes a point when it's simply just selfish to be keeping a neglected/abused/or otherwise just ill animal alive.

@ Erin. I know that not all people are like me when it comes to animal care which is why not only my reptiles are rescues but my cats (which i was shocked my cat kit let erica touch her given her shyness due to abuse but apparently kit now loves erica) but it still hurts my heart to see them suffering i've even had to have some of the rescues euthanized because they were so beyond care (like i leopard gecko i got who had MBD so bad it litterally couldn't move and have to be fed a paste that was a protien calcium mixture given to me by my vet when the thing didn't get any better no matter what i did i had to put it down i cried for 3 days about it). my point was it's sad some of the condition animals are given to people exotics especially. As for your commentary of my ads first of all i don't appreciate you saying things like this publically second of all if i decide i'm not the best home for some of my rescues since i do keep in contact with all the people i've been given reptiles from i email them or call them and ask permission to rehome them first or offer them their reptile back if they wish if they say no they want the animal to stay with me then i keep it plain and simple i don't go against anyones wishes and Rick can attest to this because i got a free beardie from him that i in turn gace to my brother but i did email him first and ask him permission before i proceeded so i would hope you try to not make accusations without knowing all the facts.

@ Erica. I know what you mean i've rescued so many cats and dogs and fish and birds and pretty much everything (including a rat who is now my male breeder and will never die lol) and i've seen all kinds of animals in all sorts of conditions that i've taken in and helped i just wish there were more people out there who felt the way i did.