Thread: Rats eating babies

Rats eating babies

I have three hairless rats I acquired to breed for my boa and one of them had 12 babies last night.

I went to check ojn her this afternoon..and well without being horrible gross and crude..I only found pieces...

WTH? I mean who killed/ate the babies? The mother? The other female? The male?

Is it because the babies were not related to the male?

How can I avoid this in the future?
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Re: Rats eating babies

if the male was not the father of the babies it was him i have both a rat colony and a mouse colony and the mice just have babies and i have 4 females and 1 male the male was the father so he didn't do anything and all of the females have been caring for the babies so it was the male and since he wasn't the dad the only way to have prevented it would have been to take him out right after she had babies i hope this helps

Yeah this kinda thing often happens in the Rat colonies
    some times the father gonna kill the babies .....
    You can avoid this by keeping babies and their mother alone....
    In a safe place where the male couldnt get in

yeah typically with rodents the best way to do it is to have 1 male however many females you want and keep them all in seperate containers for instance i'm fixing to switch my mice over to a system where each female is in a decent sized tupperware i have 4 females that are breeding age and one male so i put the male in 1 week each female that way each batch of babies is at least a week apart and the male can't eat the babies then i havent managed to do it with my rats yet but one of my females just have babies last night so i took the momma and babies out and seperated them so that it's just the mom you have to keep an eye on in that situation

She just had another litter of 22 babies and is doing great with them. I'm sure it was the stress.

We have the females and male separated now and the fighting has completely ceased.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

yeah thats best way to do it if you can't seperate them singally do it by gender cause males are more likely to eat the babies than the females are