Thread: mantis question

mantis question

okay so my female mantis laid her eggsack the other day but instead of on the sticks and stuff i put in her enclosure she decided she wanted to lay them on the roof of her cricket keeper i wanna know if i get get the eggsack down and into a deli cup without damaging the eggsack and if not when it hatches with the babies able to get out of the keeper through the are cracks? also how long will it take to hatch

Re: mantis question

http://mantodea.myspecies.info/rearing-praying-mantids

http://www.keepingexoticpets.com/how-to ... -egg-case/

That's all I could really find. From all the information I've processed it seems most important to wait until the case has completely hardened before attempting to remove it. Use a razorblade and do it really carefully.

You could always leave it in the enclosure and remove the female before they hatch. Just heat the cage and do humidity as if it were an incubator. I think if you want the babies to survive, if it's fertile, is to just leave it in there as removing it could damage some or all of the babies.

Hope this helps
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

i've always thought it seemed kinda tricky to get eggsacs off of a flat surface that they are attached to. almost as if the flat surface (or wall) is a side of the eggsac, maybe the layer is more thin on that side? who knows though. i would definitely wait a little while until it hardens more (as erwynn suggested). let us know what happens!

alright i'll probably leave them in there then my worry isn't keeping them warm or anything like that thats easy it's that when they hatch they'll get out of the keeper

When they hatch they'll definitely be small enough to get out of the keeper. Haha... can you put the keeper in a plastic tub or something... something to catch them if they do hatch?

idk the only thing i worry about is if theres a tupperware then there wouldn't be any air holes and if i put air holes it's just as much of a risk as the keeper being out in the open

I actually don't know too much about mantids. Do they climb well? If it's a really smooth rubbermaid container would the babies be able to scale the walls? Haha, what if you did like a roach container and put vasoline or bug guard at the top to stop them from reaching freedom? ...then you could leave the lid off, no problem... hopefully.

they are actually really good climbers lol idk i kinda wanna get rid of her and the eggsack and just have whoever takes her maybe trade something or give me a replacement cricket keeper cause i'm not too into the mantids

once the Oooth hardens it should be relitivly easy to peel it off the lid, just so long as its not like woven threw the holes. I get them laid on plastic plants all the time and i can just gently peel them off. If you want it to hatch you should probably let it have a diapose stage, expecially because of what time of year it is. you could try and seperate it from the critter keeper or just put the whole keeper in a fridge for about 2-4 months. this cold period actually stimmulates the eggs and you will get much better results. ive heard that even if an Ooth does hatch without a cold period the nympths are typically week and you dont get as many. (this is something specific for northern species such as Mantis Religosa(European Mantid) and some other mantids found here in Colorado)

I just found out that i am having my sons first birthday on the 14th so i will be unnable to attend the meeting :( otherwise i would bring you another critter kepper and trade ya

another note: the baby mantids are verry small, and unless you have a good supply of pinhead crickets i would suggest learning how to raise fruit flys if you want to try and raise mantids.

good info, thanks for sharing.

the momma mantis is starting to die i think which is a bummer cause i liked her i have newborn baby roaches that are the same size of pinhead crickets like constantly available so i'm thinking that would work i think since it's been about a week it should be hard enough to try to move? and i was actually planning on keeping the eggs in the garage because it gets cold in there without having to put the eggs in th fridge also how long do you think it'll take for the eggs to hatch?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolita
    the momma mantis is starting to die i think which is a bummer cause i liked her i have newborn baby roaches that are the same size of pinhead crickets like constantly available so i'm thinking that would work i think since it's been about a week it should be hard enough to try to move? and i was actually planning on keeping the eggs in the garage because it gets cold in there without having to put the eggs in th fridge also how long do you think it'll take for the eggs to hatch?
    Yes, it should be hard enough to move by now. and if the roaches are as small as you say they should work fine. after at least two months in a cold garage, once moved into an incubation area it should take between 3-4 months to hactch if taken care of properly.