Thread: kinda sad

kinda sad

i was looking at craigslist well stalking it more like it i frequent there looking for good deals anyways i saw an ad for someone rehoming a baby savannah monitor for 25 dollars they didn't like it's monitor attitude so their conclusion was to get rid of the savannah to get a peach throat monitor when they had like 0 reptile experience and they are ditching the poor thing to get another monitor it's just sad if i had the money i'd adopt the poor thing just to get it away from them.

on another note tomorrow i'm getting a fire belly newt and friday i'm getting a normal female leopard gecko to add to my leo collection both are free i wish i had a bucket full of leos they're so sweet

Re: kinda sad

It is sad and it happens a lot, but you have to remember that most reptiles around here are acquired under false pretenses. People believe the pet store people and don't realize the amount of care they require and a lot of people expect reptiles to have the same kind of loving warm attitudes that mammals have. Although there are exceptions with every animal, a monitor is just not a kitten or a puppy and it never will be.

If you are honest with someone when they are acquiring an animal, whether it is adopting an animal from you or buying an animal at a store, most of the time when I talk to people about these things they don't realize the husbandry of herps and they change their minds or if they are really set on a herp we try to figure out what would be best for them.

But then again, you look at these pet stores and backyard breeders and all they see is someone with money and a clean slate of a mind who doesn't know any better.."it doesn't eat much" "sure it loves to be held" etc.. They say whatever the "customer" wants to hear, because they want their money. Unfortunately there will always be people like that, it's our jobs as human beings and animal enthusiasts to educate people about those places to keep them away.

Some places keep their animals at the bare minimum state so that the animal is barely living until it leaves and it either dies, which happens a lot but too bad for you consumer because your 3 day animal guarantee is up, or it is sick and requires a lot of extra care and vet care. A lot of times these reptiles are not kept at proper temps so they are sick and lethargic, which is confused as "docile and friendly" so yea it looks friendly and like a cuddling dog. But again, that is the fault of the person/pet store selling them the reptile, not this person with the savanna who got conned into buying it.

And then you get it home, put the right light on it, feed it something, and then BAM your docile animal is crazy and "aggressive" and doesn't want to play with the kids.

So remember that even though it seems frustrating that we see these people just "dumping" off their animals to get another one, well sometimes people just don't know any better. The best thing you can do is try to educate them and help them make a better decision, or help them to decide not to get that animal. Sometimes it'll never work and some people don't see animals the way we do, and it hurts, to see animals treated like they are an object and not a living breathing creature, but that is the truth of this world we live in, and you will always, always see this.

Craigslist is a haven for horrible things going on when it comes to animals being rehomed, sold, and abused and honestly there can be some heated discussions in there with people, so although i peruse CL everyday, I try to avoid saying what I really think. Occasionally I'll write the author personally about alternatives or ideas in case they are interested, but I don't bring a heated discussion to the board.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Re: kinda sad

yeah but the thing that bothers me is he obviously found out monitors arent cuddle bugs and he's still wanting to get a peach throat and thats what irritates me is we all know alot of people get reptiles and stuff without research but when you get an example of their temperments and want to rehome one to get another that irritates me