Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
First Bite

Thread: First Bite

First Bite

Well, it's been close to four years in the exotic pet hobby and I have had my first pet bite... fortunately it wasn't a venomous pet.... it was, however, my Tokay with his razor sharp teeth, haha:

I wanted to do a full cleaning of his enclosure and also move some plants around. This required moving him out of the enclosure because I figured him being in a towel lined box in a quite room would be less stressful than an hour of me scooting him around while I clean and re-arrange.

I don't have gloves to use to handle my pets. I tried grabbing him first with a towel but he's WAY too fast for that. I was worried all his running/flailing around would injure him so I simply reacted by just grabbing him. Now, he has way too many hidey holes and plants in his enclosure for me to be able to get a proper "Death Grip" on him. There's no "open space" for me to corral him into to really pin him down so I just grabbed him as securely as I could.

And then, *crunch* "Ouch," *crunch* "Ouch," *crunch* "Ouch," *crunch* "Ouch,"... and one last time as I put him in the box, *crunch* "Ouch." I pulled my hand out of the box and my thumb was already dripping blood.

Although he bit me five times I'm glad he at least bit and released. I wasn't prepared to have to submerge him in water to get him to let go, haha. But, yeah, the feeling of him chomping into my thumb is not something I'll forget anytime soon.

Re: First Bite

the first times always a shocker aint it!? I will always remember gettin tagged buy my 7' red tail... i can still hear my skin "pop" as those teeth just went right threw me! lol

Re: First Bite

looks likw he got you pretty good my tokay is semi tame from handling but when i first got him he tagged me a few good ones and when he bites he doesn't let go so luckily least you have one that does let go i actually have to clean his terrarium today so i might come back with some bites myself my worst bites actually come from my beardie though he's sweet once out of the tank but very territorial in tank