Thread: Home grown crickets

Home grown crickets

Anyone breeding their own crickets? I have set up a breeding bin. I could not buy adult crickets, I fear, because of the cricket virus. They are getting to breeding size, and was looking for tip. Any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.
    Todays peacock is tomorrows feather duster.

Re: Home grown crickets

Don't... just don't. Haha, but seriously... I used to breed crix........... possibly the grossest thing ever. No matter how clean I kept them they always smelled.

How is your bin set up?

I was using many bins... mainly a breeding/egg laying bin and then the egg laying medium (cococoir kept in trays) would be taken out and placed into their own bins to hatch... then a bin for med. sized crix.

I thought the process was really easy but I've heard others have a bad time trying to start their own colonies. As long as you 1) Keep them well fed so they don't eat each other and 2) Make sure what ever the eggs are laid in stays moist you shouldn't have any problems.

I have close to 2oo eggs in the incubators (getting too big) and with the cricket virus, the cali breeders have been wiped out. Not sure I can get them here alive during the heat of summer from the midwest or southern breeders, and fear it is a matter of itme before they get hit. My roach colonies will not feed those babies for long. I have it set up like a roach colony. Double cat bowl sanded, one side cat food one side water crystals. Egg crate. I hear some chriping now, and I see some decent ovipositors so it is time for some laying medium. Once the baby dragons get some size on them, I will move to roaches. I am worried about feeding hatchlings for now.

I have, so far hundreds of pin heads. Now I have to see if I can raise them up. I have not kept records, but one cup of dirt seems to really be producing. Wooooohooooo.

It's been a week and they are still doing great. i do not see any dead pinheads.

right on, i raised some pin heads once...had them for about two weeks untill i kinda forgot about them, found the container with all of them dead about a month later...

I am on these like white on rice. I have no source for crickets in Vegas and have a load of babies coming in the next few weeks.

well im rooting for ya! do you have a roach colonie too or are you just trying the cricket thing?

I am breeding my own dubia, lobsters, and I am working with E. distanti at the moment. I can't produce enough baby roaches to keep up with my baby dragon demand. Next year I should be ok. I just set up a colony of red dubia roaches. Yes, I said I was not going to do it, but they are sort of a solid orange color. I just pulled the brightest of the ones in the colony and put them in a sweater box of their own. Will see what happens. Where dubia are a brown color, these are a rusty orange and solid colored. I have no full adults yet, so will see what happens. These are very bright solid color nymphs and have no markings.

wow. i wouldent mind a few of them if they keep their color down the road, lol.

Going to see what happens with them. They are pretty. I like the black and orange spots too though. I will post a pic soon.

I made the mistake of not seperating generation 1 and 2, but other than that they are great, and no smell.

Home grown crickets are doing great. No smell at all. I keep them bone dry with water crystals and a combination of kitten chow and gut load. Still growing slow but now as warm as they probably should be.