Thread: Mega Roach Colony

Mega Roach Colony

My goal in life is simple.....never buy another nasty, smelly, dirty, noisey cricket again.

I just divided my colonies up to make a 3rd dubia colony. I have about 400 large adult females in there already, probably more. What is a good male to female ratio? Second question is, I am concerned about inbreeding destroying my productivity. Does anyone want to trade a 5.5 adult dubia? Adults only please. I will swap nymphs for nymphs as well. I see some males with jacked up wings and fear it is genetic.

I also have orange dubia. Dubia that are orange. Has anyone else found this? None are adults yet, but are distinctly different than the rest.

Thanks!
    Todays peacock is tomorrows feather duster.

Re: Mega Roach Colony

I would say a good ratio is 1:3 or even 1:4 for males to females. When I had dubias I tried to keep it at 1:3... if you're trying to really expand your colony 1:4 def will not hurt.

I would be apt to say "jacked up wings" are a result of a bad molt... could be caused by not enough moisture and/or not enough space to molt in. Or maybe even getting nibbled on by other dubia? I doubt that last one happens but who knows... I've read about other species of roaches eating each other in situations of overcrowding.

Also, orange dubias aren't unheard of. I've read stories of people trying to selectively breed orange dubias. You could have yourself another little hobby there, hahaha...

Thanks, but the only way I could do more than I am already doing with everything animal. would probably be to stick a broom up my butt and sweep the floor at the same time.

Thanks for the info.

I don't know, I heard this at a pet store. The dude said that his lighter colored roaches (dubia, I think) were that way because of a higher protien diet, and that was because they were cannibalising their cagemates. Has anyone else heard of anything like that?

I have not heard that. I will take a pic of them. They are more of a rusty orange than a construction cone orange. They are different. I have been feeding them off.

Been a long long time since I posted here. Okay as far as inbreeding goes I don't believe that's too big an issue with roaches. However swapping some out to get some fresh genes in there isn't a bad idea. Jacked up wings could be caused by anything most likely it is a bad molt, fighting (hissers are known to be terratorial, not sure how far that extends with dubias), or as Bell said, simple nibbling. The color change is just a color variation that has been bred in. Your original stock carried the gene but needed a few generations to show it to an extreme. You could always try to make a small colony with just those and see how the color progresses without the detriment of "normal" roaches breeding with them.