Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tokays not thriving

Thread: Tokays not thriving

Tokays not thriving

Our two tokays, which I've finally sexed to be both females, are not thriving.

They love to eat. I've been feeding crickets, mealies, and some waxworms because they really need to put on some weight. But they are still pretty thin. The one female I can see ribs. When I got them they were already thin.

I noticed too their white poop looks kind of "sparkly." That's the only way I can describe it.

They're in a good sized cage, with grapevine and plants to hide. They have reptibark as a substrate. I spritz it twice a day.

They have a heat lamp on the top screen so the temps range from 87-100 in the hot spot and at night it ranges in the 70s. Is it too hot?

We don't have a lot of exotic vets here, and the one I did mange to find charges 85 per pet per visit. And I think that's outrageous.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe parasites. Is there any otc meds I can give them for parasites?

Thanks.

*Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Re: Tokays not thriving

Can you provide a picture of the urate? Keep in mind urate is just the salt that the tokay's digestive system (kidneys, maybe?) can't absorb/digest. I've never looked at mine but I can see where a bunch of leftover salt might be kind-of sparkly.

Here is my critique.......

They really should be set up in a way where they can get a better temp gradient... I have mine in long and tall containers.... I think Shanahan is in a 40 gallon. On the warm side it should be in the 90's... getting closer to 100 is dangerous as I've read, and can totally believe it, that prolonged exposure to higher temps will cause brain damage in herps. On the cold/humid side it should be, oh, about 75, I'd say. If it's too cold for them... which I think 70's is too cold, they won't be able to digest their food properly and, thereby, won't gain weight.

They need better places to hide. They're very secretive animals and stress could also contribute to not gaining weight. Something I found that my geckos LOVE and is super cheap (like, $3 a pop) is hermit crab climbing walls. You can bend them into tubes or just hang it so they have something to climb under. I noticed my geckos like to fit into tight spaces, prolly makes them feel secure. When I first put it in it was in an attempt to give Shanahan something other than glass to climb on, since his pads couldn't adhere to the glass at the time. I had it pushed up tight to the wall but they found their way underneath of it. I have some of that on both the hot and cold side... then I have a tunnel on the ground for them to hide in for whatever reason... they both have used it at times for hunting and to help them shed. It also holds moisture pretty well since it's made of cococoir. I cut, shape and hot-glue and/or velcro the wall into the enclosure. In Sauron's new enclosure I have some cut up like half a tree trunk with holes in it that she can climb in and out of. I also cover the sides and back of the enclosure in paper so they don't always have people looking in on them... of course mine are in the living room so I dunno if yours have that problem, too.

And, lastly, I'm not saying this to make you feel bad and I'm sure I'm going to piss some people off but if you can't afford to take your pet to the vet you can't afford the pet. I know you've been wanting tokays for a while but maybe now just isn't the time. Dublin can check up on the one gecko and prescribe a de-wormer you can give to both. If you can find one OTC, and while it's usually not detrimental to the animal to give it a de-wormer it may not need, I don't think it's for any of us to say parasites are what's wrong with your geckos... also, you need to have the animal weighed before you can know what dosage to administer. One or both really need to go to a vet.

If there's one thing I've learned about my geckos it's that just because you only ever hear about parasites and impaction being health problems for lizards there's a lot more than can go wrong with them (tumors, kidney disease, sloughing of intestinal linings)... Only a vet can help diagnose what is wrong.

Cool beans thanks I'll try the hermit crab wall. I'm also making some background and hides from styrofoam and going to cover them in ecoearth.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

They're actually doing a lot better. Maybe it's just the way they sit on the glass all crooked it makes them look all thin and lanky.

The one, who might be a male since they're not mature yet, had no interest in eating tonight. But then I tried some pinkies, to fatten them up a bit, and the one went nuts. That was the most brutal thing I've ever seen. That peaked the other ones' interest and it ate the other pinky I had. The one hadn't been eating, but it's been shedding so maybe it just doesn't wanna eat right now. But it ate the pinky mouse.

I know they can have pinkies as an occasional snack. That and waxworms for fattening. They are a lot more alert. I changed out their heat lamp with a 60 w black light, not the hippie ones just a light bulb colored black, to see if that would give m the temp gradient I need. It seems to be working. I hate how no matter where I put the other heatlamp the temp is sometimes so high it won't register on the temp strip. So I'll try the blacklight and see how that does.

Thanks friends
    *Fear is ignorance*

For heat for all my nocturnal geckos I use a combination of heat pads and ceramic heat emitters. I also got a cheapo, uh, infrared (I think?) temp gun thing... the ones where you point, press the button and then it tells the temp of that area. It seems to be working pretty well. And I use a rheostat but I don't think that's necessary...

LLL Reptile has inexpensive (or at least cheaper than anywhere else) reptile equipment.

Wow. Yall might be cooking them geckos. I would get rid of that substrate and use newspaper or a wet rag. You'll better be ableto examine their stools and collect a sample if necessary. Try keeping them at room temp. with just a small undertank heating pad on one side. "If" you see them using the heat pad alot, then you may want to add more heat. Remember, they are nocturnal, spending the day in a cool shelter out of the sun, and when they come out at night, there aren't any temp gradients from the forest floor to the top of the canopy, is there? Maybe a breeze. The hard part is providing higher humidiy with fresh air. Good luck!