Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Vet Appt

Another Vet Appt

I have some expensive free geckos.

So I got those two tokays from Rick. The one that wasn't able to climb when I first got him can climb now and has doubled in size... his name is Shanahan. He's also the one that's been barking. The "normal" one, Sauron, who was fast and a voracious eater at first gained quite a bit of weight in the beginning... But I noticed the past couple of weeks it had been losing weight. Thinking Shanahan was bullying it I separated them last Sunday.

Well, Sauron didn't eat a thing all week. It was so weird, though... when I'd put food in its dish it would race down the wall like normal when it was hunting but instead of snatching up food it hovered over the dish licking its chops. Then it would wander back up to its hide. It has been drinking a lot of water, though... I've been finding urate and, uh, whatever you'd call the liquidy stuff that comes out w/ the urate/feces.

What's weird, though, with its urate/liquid stuff is there's this, like, pink crystallized matter that's in it, also. I've never inspected my gecko's poo before so I don't know if this is normal or parasites or what...... It seriously looks like pink sand but as far as I know Sauron has never been on sand (who'd keep a tokay on sand, anyway??).

...I'm hoping it is parasites so I can at least treat her unlike when Tarantula got sick and I had to put her down.

Anyway, the appt is at 4 so I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Re: Another Vet Appt

interesting. ya let us know!

I hope they are ok. The tokays we just got look ok, but they won't gain weight and they too have poop that looks kind of "sparkly." Like they ate some glitter or something.
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Well, the good news is Sauron is still alive...... the bad news is we don't know what's wrong with her but are leaning towards one of two options: 1) Kidney disease and/or 2) She has some sort of infection that's causing her to lose the lining of her tummy/intestines (and that's what the gooey, sticky, liquidy stuff is I found). The vet saying something about a kidney disorder scared me because that's the first thing I thought when I saw those pink crystals in her urate/liquid matter. :( She was too thin to have blood drawn, though, to verify if that's the case. And we didn't do x-rays as she really doesn't feel like she has anything in her tummy. W/ my leo that had that tumor you could definitely feel that mass.

To be safe we have her on medication... Panacur in case it happens to be parasites but we doubt that as she felt like she had absolutely nothing in her abdomen (to be "overloaded" w/ parasites) and something for the possible bacterial infection. The vet said I can give that Panacur to Shanahan just in case it is parasites and he may have gotten sick, too... I also will be force feeding her this special carnivorous reptile diet. She's LOVING all the stuff I'm sticking down her throat but she actually seems to be swallowing the feed and not spitting it out.

I bleached, washed and the re-washed her tank and gave her all new decorations/substrate.

I like that vet (Dublin Animal Hospital)... they all seem nice and pretty knowledgeable about general herp care. I think this is the first time they've worked w/ a Tokay, though. None of them really seemed to know what a Tokay looks like; they were all interested in seeing her. Haha, one asked to describe the color to her... uh, blue w/ orange dots like every other Tokay. The vet also asked if I'm using a full-spectrum bulb on her.

No one has gotten bit......... yet. Haha.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on her condition. If/when she gets better she'll be taking another trip down to the vet. Or if she at least poos I can take that to them, too. At least there's some hope she may get better.

I hope for saurons sake that it is just parasites and hopefully the meds will clear it up. I hope they feel better.

I like dublin, but they are so expensive I can't get any of my herps seen there.

Why full spectrum lighting? Tokays are nocturnal, they don't need lighting like that. Right?
    *Fear is ignorance*
    *Do the best you can in life. Live with compassion and infinite love for others.*

Quote Originally Posted by Erwynn
    Why full spectrum lighting? Tokays are nocturnal, they don't need lighting like that. Right?
    Yeah, exactly... I don't think they know what a Tokay gecko is. But as long as they can weigh them, do fecals, blood tests, x-rays, etc... I think it's okay. They can do what's important regardless if they know how the animal lives.

Yea it's hard finding a good exotic vet that knows all species. Too bad kevin fitzgerald doesn't live down here.
    *Fear is ignorance*

Yeah, that's okay.... He kinda traumatized me once. Haha. He did a comedy show down here and his finale was to don a skin tight green leotard and dance around on stage........ did not need to see that.

lol.
    *Fear is ignorance*

Well, I'd say Sauron is starting to get more lethargic. She didn't have much fight in her today. :( I was able to pick her up and hold her for force feeding with to problem. Didn't try to bite me once. It's probably stressing the heck out of her having me force stuff down her throat twice a day.

I did find poo in her enclosure this morning, though... a pretty small sample of it. She only got force fed once yesterday so maybe tomorrow's will be better and I can take it in for a float.

What are you feeding them?Are they getting a good variety? And of course to much of anything can be bad. The exoskeletons of mealworms can cause intestinal impaction if given too frequently,for example. An overdose of vitamins can also be toxic. I would also consider that no reptile likes to be handled, just that some tolerate better than others. Force feeding is always a last resort, as it is so stressfull to an animal already stressed out. My woma and small burmese hadn't ate since Nov. until this last week. It was frustrating but messing with them more likely would have prolonged their coming around. I seriously considered offering that woma an adult bearded dragon that was given to me. They eat those and monitors in the wild.
    Anyhow, I don't have any real answers. They were in a lot worse shape when I got them. Often things work out, and sometimes they don't. I wish you luck though.

I've been feeding them dusted regular mealies, small mealies, crix and wax worms. She's definitely not impacted. She has nothing in her tummy at all but is passing stuff okay...... it's just that the "stuff" is urate and possible stomach lining. :(

You should see that big one, now... he's about adult sized (or at least a lot bigger then you last saw him) and climbing around like crazy.

Sauron was definitely feistier last night. She was going crazy when I was trying to pick her up. Like........ CRAZY. Whipping back and forth trying to bite me. She is definitely starting to despise my presence. It's looking like she's having runny poo, which makes sense since she's eating no solids. Nothing I can bring in for a fecal, though. :(

I ordered some phoenix worms so I'll see if my geckos will start eating those to give them even more variety and not have to use dust. I think they don't like the dust I use because when I use it less of the creatures get eaten than usual.

Anyway, 2 more days of panacur and 11 more days of the enro stuff. Then I just have to keep force feeding her until she eats on her own. Once I'm done doing panacur on Sauron I'm going to start Shanahan's regimen.

The feedings went super easy yesterday...... but I'm kinda worried Sauron may have injured her jaw somehow. She's been doing a lot of thrashing the past few days so she could have dislocated it or something, right? Some times when she sits there her jaw is agape a bit....... :( Argh. Her fecal matter is starting to look more and more normal.

I get the phoenix worms this afternoon.... hopefully she finds them irresistible and I can stop force feeding her.

All three of my geckos are very confused as to what the Phoenix worms are. :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast